Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristiz_gw

Enclosure to hide central air conditioner?

kristiz
14 years ago

We have a very small city backyard, about 21 x 15 feet, and live in a townhouse (middle unit), so our air conditioner is in the back yard since there is nowhere else to put it. Since we plan to sit back there a lot this summer, I'd like to build some sort of enclosure to hide the AC while still allowing adequate air flow. I'm thinking maybe something made of lattice? Just something to disguise it rather than have it stand out so mch, it's not very nice to look at! Planting shrubs to hide it is not an option because there isn't enough space and we already have a stone patio in that area.

I was just wondering if anyone here has built something like this, and if so could you recommend a good design or give me some tips on how to construct it?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

I haven't built it (yet) but I know what I want to do. The house is gray hardee board with white trim, so I thought I would carry the theme over to the "enclosure". You don't really want to enclose it, it needs to pull in ambient air and push out hot air. My idea is a mini-wall, like 5 ft wide 4 ft tall, two treated posts in concrete, a wooden frame (white) and horizontal Hardee boards (gray) that would match the house. Use 6" wide lumber, 4" will make it look cheap. It will block the sight of the unit as well cut the noise significantly. Good luck.

• tommyw
    14 years ago

I have two heat pumps side by side. I built a five foot high enclosure using 4X4 post and lattice panels attached. I also ran 2X6's across the top (from post to post)for a finished look. Everything was painted to match the house.

• kristiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Those sound like great ideas!
    Unfortunately it's going to be hard to make an enclosure blend in to our house since it's made of brick...but hopefully we'll figure something out! Maybe we'll just have to paint/stain the wood to match the colour of the brick, that may be the best we can do...

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

Lattice isn't going to cut the noise like a solid wall. You could lay a foundation down and build two brick posts with lumber connecting like tommyw did. Its not rocket science.

• doral_gw
    14 years ago

Before you do this....you might want to go to the HVAC forum and see what a HVAC tech has to say about your plan. Also, if your AC compressor is next to the house and you box it in...you will have more reflected sound into the side of the house?

• tommyw
    14 years ago

As a follow up ... you DO NOT want to restrict the air flow to your units, that is why I used the lattice and the top remained open.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"As a follow up ... you DO NOT want to restrict the air flow to your units, that is why I used the lattice and the top remained open."

The top is the exhaust air, the sides of the condenser are the intake air.

Anything that reduces air flow decreases the efficiency of the system, and can lead to poor performance, overheating, and short life.

Even lattice presents a large obstruction to free air flow.

• kevin_hammond
    14 years ago

I have been looking for the same thing, and I took these pictures in Charleston, SC earlier this spring. It's the most attractive solution I have seen.

Whatever you do, make sure an a/c service person can get back there to service/replace the unit without tearing down the screen.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• centralairunits
    13 years ago

Nice idea......thank's a lot

Here is a link that might be useful: other information of central ac units

• shaunywoo22_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

The lattice is a great idea and I think the most attractive looking, but it is not practical. It will cut the air needed to cool down the compressor by at least 40%. I have worked on hvac in the past and have some experience in the field, and have also been looking for a solution to the same issue.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"It will cut the air needed to cool down the compressor by at least 40%. "

Very badly stated.

It does not "cut the air needed to cool down the compressor" but decreases the air REQUIRED to cool the compressor and freon by a large amount.

The system efficiency and life WILL be reduced.

That hot air comping out of the unit is carrying the heat that was removed from your house.
    Restrict its flow and the system becomes less efficient, pr may even fail.

You need a rather large area around a condenser to ensure free air flow and prevent it from re-circulating already heated air it discharges back into the unit.

A solid wall (nice for blocking sound) restricts air flow the most.
    It likely would need to be many feet away from the unit, eating up a lot of yard space.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz