Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cooper_boston

Fiberon & TimberTech

cooper_boston
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am asking for help. I am about to build a new deck and am looking at both Timber Tech in the teak color and the Fiberon Tropic(Jatoba) products. My wife seems to love the look of the Fiberon. I am worried about how easy these materials might scratch. Does anyone have experience with these products? I am hoping someone who has had this type of deck for a while can let me know how it has held up.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• alden77
    15 years ago

I have a fiberon deck and I regret it - it stains and will not clean up. The sales people will mislead you - test it yourself with some type of cook out food. I paid an additional 5000.00 and now I am going to have to put a solid stain on it and be back to maintaining it. It is not just Fiberon - it is almost all composites

• bernloehr_fuse_net
    14 years ago

My husband and I are looking at the same two options (TT Teak and Fiberon Jatoba). Which one did you decide on? Are you happy with it? Thanks!
    Debbie

• jeff0922
    14 years ago

I am trying to decide between TimberTech Earthwood walnut and Trex Escape or something like that (pvc). I'm concerned about the TT scratching. Any suggestions?
    thanks

• deckman22
    14 years ago

Both of those will scratch, bad. The teak colored TT in the earthwood seriers will scratch if you look at it wrong. Better go with one of the pvc types if you scratch resistant decking.

Al

• lanemc
    14 years ago

as i have built & own a TT deck in earthwood i couldn't disagree more w/ what 'deckman22' has stated above - and if anyone tells you they can provide a decking material that will not scratch at all run the other direction. i own two large dogs and my wife and i are on our TT Earthwood deck daily & it has sustained minimal scracthing - and what has occured has blended nicely. It looks nearly as good as the day it was finished - my neighbors still marvel at the quality/aesthetics of our deck.

go and look at the material for yourself & make your own, educated decision - that's what we did & we haven't regreted our decision for a moment!

• ksucher
    14 years ago

I work for TimberTech and I would like to make sure you have all the resources you need to make your decision. It looks like you're interested in either our Earthwood or Floorizon line in the Teak color. I have to admit that Teak is my favorite, as well! TimberTech's 'tropical colors' are made to mimic those of extoic hardwoods. And just like exotic hardwoods, Teak does require a little special attention to preserve the beauty. One of the main things I would be aware of is not to slide heavy outdoor furniture across your deck. This could cause scratching on most deck surfaces. Lanemc was correct when saying that any minor scraches will fade after weathering. This normally takes about 4-6 weeks.

Another option that was mentioned above is going with a cellular PVC product that does not contain wood. These type of products provide unparalleled scratch resistance. TimberTech has a plank called XLM (stands for eXtreme Low Maintenance). We do not offer this plank in the Teak color, but we have four other colors to choose from, including a 'tropical' looking color called Desert Bronze.

I hope this helps and if you need any more assitance please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: TimberTech

• idrive65
    14 years ago

I have TT Earthwood on my front porch and it scratches with a sharp look. The Trex on my back deck has had heavy iron furniture scraped across it with no marks. Both have been on for less than a year. I wish I'd have gone with Trex on the front instead of the "prettier" TT.

• hanks62950_mypacks_net
    12 years ago

Had Mountain Cedar XLM floorboards replaced by company because they were supposedly from a "bad run" and that was reason they were chalking. Took their recommendation to replace with Desert Bronze XLM Boards and now they chalked up. Had it cleaned professionally and white disappeared but 6 weeks later deck is scorched. All black and looks like someone with blow torch hit the boards.

I really don't like the product with all it's issues but will have to stay with TT if they opt to replace again which they should because new deck was under a year old when it started chalking too. Any suggestions on any "better" product from Timbertech?

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

Your XLM is scorched? What did they clean it with? Post up some pictures for us.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville