Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkey31_gw

Help re-staining deck

monkey31
12 years ago

I had a new deck put in 2 years ago and it isn't looking very good (very dirty, uneven, peeled in some parts, some warping and splitting, etc.).

My landscaper said he used Semi-transparent Behr Premium Deck PAINT, but when I went to HD they said there is no such thing. The only semi-trans is Deck STAIN. So I bought that in the color I thought we used (Oxford). The landscaper said whatever he used contained weatherproofing, so he did not seal it.

I should mention that I live in Southern California, where it is very hot, very dry and the rain (during the half of the year when we get any) can be very heavy. Also, the deck gets low to moderate traffic.

Now I want to re-stain the deck and there are a few things I'm curious about. First off, I'm hoping I got the right product/color. It looks kind of light, but I'm hoping with 2 coats it will look right. Besides that, though, I've been poking around the forum and noticed that people seem to be generally unhappy with Behr deck stain. If there's something I could use that will hold up better to the elements and dirt and better prevent future warping/splitting, I would really like to know about it. I'm afraid that at the current rate, my deck will need to be re-done in like 4 years. But if I do get a different brand I'll need to deal with a color difference...

Also, according to the info from Behr, I don't need to strip or sand the deck- just wash it down. I sanded in the parts that were peeling or otherwise rough, but do I need to do anything else or can I just go ahead and re-apply the stain with a paint roller?

I'm a single female homeowner who has been unemployed for 1 1/2 years, so I'm doing this on my own and am VERY budget-conscious. I'd like to not have to buy another 2-3 gallons of a different stain now, but there's a chance I might be forced to leave my house, so I want it to look good and last.

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• zver11
    12 years ago

Almost certain product was a stain. Paints are not normally semitransparent. Stain should fade with time but not peel and crack as paint would. Downside of semitransparent stain is that need to reapply every few years. Positive is that can apply over old stain after quick cleaning. Solid color stains are more like paint. They last longer, but are more work to recoat since they are more a surface coating as opposed to semitransparent stain which soaks into wood.

• dooer
    12 years ago

When the deck was originally coated, could you still see the wood grain, or did you just see the texture of the wood.

Usually, semi-transparents do not crack and peel, they just disappear. Solid stains sit on the surface. If I'm not mistaken, they often need a primer,as well. Maybe a missed step.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Stains in So. Ca. stink!! I used Behr couple of yrs ago & 1st used a foam brush on 2 post uprights on fence. Looked awful so got a very good quality Purdy brush out & did 2 more- ugly so I took the can back & said it was disgusting. They said another stain by Behr was better. Brought it home & let other dry couple more days & lightly sanded them as looked like kid had played in paint with their fingers, so uneven. Used good brush again & went over the same ones & 1 more & all were awful, wouldn't want anyone to know I had done it. I've painted my trim on house 3 times & inside of house, refinish furniture especially antique pieces,using old oil stains, have done redwood redos every couple of yrs & gates were redwood stained too so not an amateur. So they still aren't done. Got a redwood "stain" at Wal Mart & did a potting bench & built in bench but while it looked nice I knew it was paint not stain, couldn't see any grain but nice color-been a yr now & needs redoing. Got some stain by McCloskey,100% acrylic latex deck & siding stain 7956 redwood is the color. Brushed it on couple of posts but its night & haven't looked at them lately. Dad had a stroke so mind is on him. It went on better than Behr but don't know that it will hold up. I used to use Behr oil based & only had to redo everything about every 2-3 yrs. Good Luck, it's a real battle these days. Even spray paint doesn't hold up more than a season. So many regulations.