Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I get rid of Thompson's?

Posted by meterman (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 16:12

I want to use a semi-transparent oil to seal my deck. It appears to have Thompson's Water Seal or something similar on it now (clear but water beads up). What do I need to do to get that off and prep for the oil based product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I get rid of Thompson's?

If it is thompson its a real pain. md80,oxalic wash and you might have to use the 80 a couple times the only way to know is try a test area, if it comes up blochy, you have to do it again. Thompson is complet junk its worst than using nothing at all.

Drift on over to wwwwoodrich-brand.com they have all that stuff and a pretty good anwser question area. J.

o

Thanks for your reply John. I am not sure what the previous owner put on the deck, just assuming it is Thompson's because that is what most people in this area use. I will go to the website you mentioned and see about finding the oxalic wash. Also, this deck is around an above ground pool and will get lots of wet traffic on it. What would you advise me to retreat it with?

o

The woodrich guys also sell a not bad outdoor finish. I use twp 100 series.

Remember oxalic is a brightner not a stripper you will need both. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here