Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwildrose_gw

help me convince to use ipe - & a few questions

mnwildrose
10 years ago

I've really tried to educate myself on this great forum (a special thanks to J.H.!). I'm sold on Ipe, while my husband thinks cedar (the cheaper way) is what we should do. A builder says that a cedar deck, well taken care of, can last for 30-40 years (?). (We live in Minnesota, if weather might figure into this.)

As my argument for the cost issue (considering products and man-hours) as compared to the cedar, is this accurate: We could put the Ipe deck in and do nothing more to it (or maybe a first sealing) - just keep it clean - and then let it age/grey gracefully? Without any "finishing," would we have a problem with mildew, etc.?

Then some years later, when we're going to sell our house, we can then "restore" the Ipe. If we use the right products, that the color of the deck will come back nicely. Will this work?

Also on the length of boards. Do most people get random lengths of boards (I got a quote where this was the case)? Our deck will be 10' x 16'. It seems like getting 16' boards would be a no-brainer (but I'm likely thinking too simplistically). Does the deck look nice using random lengths?

I know longer boards would be more expensive. Would 16' boards be problematic? Obviously heavier, but harder to work with, more likely to need straightening/harder to straighten, etc.? Are there reasons not to use 16' boards?

I really want to make this Ipe deck happen. Would sure appreciate any comments/insights you're willing to share!

Comments (4)