Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm looking for rail & baluster ideas

Posted by dwpc (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 15:42

We're having a 10'x40' deck replanked and installing new railings (with a contractor) and we're looking for railing design ideas, probably using 3/4 AL tube balusters. The deck is between the living room picture windows and a great mtn view, so we want something low key. The house is a ranch style with board & batten siding. Deck and rails will be redwood. Pics that we could show the contractor would be welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm looking for rail & baluster ideas

Have you considered glass in lieu of ballisters? We have a small egress deck leading onto our patio and wanted the view unobstructed. Some photos can be seen from the "my page" link on the album entitled patio/backyard. Maybe an idea.

o

o

I really like Salmo Slayers rail shown in the previous post.

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

Not sure if you like the cable rail system but it really preserves the views with minimal obstruction. Reasonably low maintainence as well. Here is a pic of one on a house I did for my GF recently.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I really like the look of the glass 'stripes' (not a full glass panel - I think you would loose airflow).

http://www.ufpi.com/product/deckorators/balusters/scenic.htm

However it was out of our budget for now... so we went with the basic black Aluminum Balusters..... I think it impededs the view less then wood would.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here