Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmichaeljmoore

Sand or Clean IPE before restaining?

mrmichaeljmoore
14 years ago

This is the thrid year with my IPE deck. And I am looking for the best plan to restain.

The first year I sanded the deck after the build was copmplete, then stained with Penofin for Hardwood.

The 2nd year I used Penofin's One Step Prep (I think it is some sort of acid cleaner) to clean the deck, then stained with Penofin for Hardwood.

This year, I am not sure what to do.....clean and restain OR sand and restain.

My deck is not big (12x24), so it is not a big deal to run my ROS across it. It doesn't take that long.

The one thing I didnt like about using the Penofin One Step Prep is that the IPE got real fuzzy/splintery. [Not good for my 2 year old who like to run around without shoes one.] From my reading on the boards, I guess that can happen with chemicals.....and pros get rid of the splinters by running a defurring pads across it or something........but that is beyond my homeowner knowledge....

So, what is the better choice? Sanding or cleaning? Or does it matter?

If I clean, how do I prevent the splinters/fuzzies? If I clean, should I use an acid product or a percarb prodcut? or both?

I know some folks (except Steve from Brooklyn) are not the biggest fans of Penofin.....but I am unsure what else to try.....if I even need to try something else.

The thing I like about Penofin (other than the color) is that is real easy to apply. No lap marks to worry about. Just wipe it down after 20 minutes or so and you are good.

I already realize I am probably gonna have to restain every year, so I am not looking for that "long-lasting" product.....but if there is something easier, better, etc., let me know.

Thank you.

Comment (1)