Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap spacing undersized on Trex decking

Posted by chuck1856 (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 15:18

Hi all,

I have a ~5 year old trex deck on the heavily-shaded North side of my house. I do get some black spots and staining as mentioned by so many other here. However I just recently started wondering how much the spacing of the planks causes this... the online install guide recommends 1/4". Mine were install nearly touching, maybe 1/16" at best.

Anyone have a sense for how much this contributes to mold, staining, etc? In "wintry mix" weather in the winter the water actually won't drain in a few areas and makes frozen puddles. Any of course it's a total trap for pine needles or anything else.

The options I see are:

1) do nothing, keep up with pressure washing 2-3 times/year

2) drill small 1/8 holes in various locations between boards to help drainage with little visual impact

3) Pull up and re-deck with the same planks (major effort!)

4) Use a circular saw to cut a kerf width between each plank lengthwise -- The plank edges are a full radious (aka half round) so I think the saw cut would be "down" in the seam a bit...

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap spacing undersized on Trex decking

I think it's a pretty major contributor. I'd find some way to address it - esp if pine needles, dog hair etc build up in there.
Another option might be to follow your p/w with Envirocare Moldex, or the recommendations at cleaningcompositedecking.com
This would keep it cleaner between cleanings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here