Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzmyth

TimberTech Ornamental Rail

dzmyth
13 years ago

Hello folks,

I am very interested in using TimberTech's Ornamental Rail in Cedar for my deck design, but after visiting my local building center, I found that the samples that were left outside had drastically faded in color.

I took some photos that can be viewed using the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32037438@N06/sets/72157624088237754/

I visited 2 building centers with the same display and they both exhibited identical fading.

I called TimberTech and one customer service rep said that the materials should not have faded to the degree that I described, while another customer service rep indicated that the cause of the fading was that the sample was obviously not cleaned as recommended by TimberTech.

Because of my concern, I asked if they could either provide me with weathered samples of the materials that I was hoping to use, or put me in touch with a local rep or contractor who might be able to find a deck that was previously built in my area, so that I could make sure that the fading would be acceptable to me. So far, they've had my contact information for more than three weeks and I haven't heard back from them. :-(

I was hoping that I could reply on the collective experience of this group to respond to my concerns. The quality of replies and opinions I have seen while reviewing other messages has been excellent -- especially from deck builders and contractors who share the benefit of their knowledge. :-)

Are the TimberTech folks correct? Is the sample faded beyond what should be expected? Is it simply a matter of a pressure wash and the original color will return? I do expect to give the deck a pressure wash as part of yearly maintenance.

Am I being unreasonable by hoping to see a weathered sample or deck before spending a large amount of cash on this material? The deck that we are planning is very large and will be in the sun, and I am obviously concerned that I will upset in a year or two because the deck has discolored.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

/dzmyth.

Here is a link that might be useful: TimberTech Cedar Ornamental Rail Fading

Comment (1)