Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
T&G pine front porch

Posted by mgabriel (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 14:53

I am building a new house and I'm considering using pressure treated T&G yellow pine (kiln dried) for the porch flooring. The porch is covered. Initially, I was planning on priming all sides before installing. I recently read that might not be a good idea. Should I prime all sides before installing?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: T&G pine front porch

Finish on all four sides of any decking project, covered or not, is a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

Ventalation and fastening are much more important. J.

o

If the floor is to be painted, follow the label instructions of the paint you will use for its priming requirements; the porch paint I've been using (Ben Moore Alkyd) is so-called self-priming, and works best as its own first coat.
With PT yellow pine T&G, to get a decent finish you will need to have the floor sanded before painting to get it flat. Un-sanded, there will be proud edges that will get the paint worn off them in short order. The sanding (to 80 grit, but no further than 100 grit) will roughen up the summer wood parts of the yellow pine grain so paint will stick; peeling is the worst characteristic of YP as an exterior wood.
If I were using oil paint, I'd thin the first coat with a little turpentine, it really seems to help paint stick to YP.
Casey

o

Take a look at CorrectPorch T&G Boards - Composite

The Porch Guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here