Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marksas

EON decking,

marksas
16 years ago

Has anyone used EON brand decking? It's made of PVC i believe, not composite. My local Home Depot says it's the "mercedes" of synthetic decking. Another Home Depot guy told me it expands and contracts like crazy in the New England weather and i should go with trex or this new Veranda "tropics" composite decking. The EON does look really nice but i am a little worried about the contracting in the cold winters here.

Comments (29)

• bargamon
    16 years ago

I had a contractor price it out for me and I fell off the chair!

IPE looked like a bargain in comparison!

the price of the caps and moldings is the killer, not just linear feet.

stuff looks great but its the clips, caps, and other pieces that really add up the price. Also not repairable.

The pictures look fantastic and I really had my hopes up!

Good luck and keep us posted on your experience!

• deckman22
    16 years ago

If you don't believe it shrinks alot just check out their website, you can see huge gaps between the decking & the skirt board. It is not made with PVC. It is probably the most flamable of any decking on the market so if you plan on a firepit or outdoor grill forget about eon. Yes it does look sweet brand new, but besides the expanding & contracting problems it scratches up very easily with no way to fix it. Oh yeah, it cost arms & legs too.

There are a couple of PVC products on the market that I know about, Amerideck & Boardwalk. Both are nice looking products, but the Boardwalk will mold/mildew up in just a few months. Also I think the texture is too deep on the boardwalk & it is only available in 2 color choices. Amerideck is by far the better of the two & would be my choice if I were to do a composite deck for myself.

No wonder the HD man tried to sell trex or veranda ( their house brand) that's all they carry. Trex is junk & veranda is generic Fiberon, I wouldn't use either one.

Al

• bargamon
    16 years ago

I went thru this process three years ago and scoured the earth for somting that did not need care.

The material that I found I did not care for.

In the end I went with Ipe, grooved with clip system.

Why? It requires some work but what a payoff! Ipe Furniture too! Im set for life!

I hate the way Trex type products fade after a few years.
    It looks blotchy and not consistant.

When read it was recommended to use a UV protectant on these composits I figured why bother? Mold issues? Some are better than others but if my ipe molds, I can get rid of it! Not on composit.

• martin_carthage
    16 years ago

You should throw CorrectDeck CX into that mix - hose off type cleaning and has hidden fastener system.

• marksas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After much research i am pretty set on going with Fiberon (Veranda) "Tropics". Veranda is just Home Depot's branding of Fiberon, same company. Anyway, i spoke with a local contractor in my area that installs both EON and composites, he said his customers major complaint about the EON is that it scratches to easily and expands/contracts more as well. He also said he is very pleased with the look of the newer composites like the Tropics line plus they are available with grooved edges for use with a new hidden fastner system, Phantom. Tropics and Trex Brasilia are both modeled after tropical hardwoods so they look much better than the cheap stuff you see on the shelf at HD's and Lowes. This particular contractor when asked to choose between the Eon and Fiberon/Veranda Tropics said he prefered the Tropics. So thats my story and i'm stickin too it.

• crabman2
    16 years ago

I walked on an EON deck once, it sounded like I was walking on a styrofoam cooler. You know- that noise thats as grating as fingernails on a chalkboard. Looked good new, but I couldn't live w/ that noise.

• paul4x4
    16 years ago

I'm wrestling with the same decision, what material to use. This weekend was at home depot and was looking at the veranda "tropics" they had in the decking aisle. The second board I looked at on the "grooved" side not the "woodgrain" had small black mold spots all over it! This was INSIDE the store, not an outside stock area. That pretty much stopped me in my tracks. Still don't know what I'll use on my 5'x 8' covered porch, but I'm begining to think it won't be a composite product.

• marksas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paul4x4-
    " The second board I looked at on the "grooved" side not the "woodgrain" had small black mold spots all over it!"

What do you mean by the grooved side and woodgrain side? Are you sure you were looking at the "Tropics" and not just the regular Veranda product? The Tropics is the same on both sides, not like the other stuff that has "woodgrain effect" on one side and "flat" look on other side.

• paul4x4
    16 years ago

Marksas,

The literature beside the rack said "tropics", but I didn't look that closely at the price sticker on the rack. Could have been the older stuff I guess. It def. had a grooved texture on one side and "wood grain" on the other so if that's not the case with "tropics" you may be right. But if their earlier product molded like that indoors I think I would want to see what kind of track record their "new and improved" product had before I handed out $$$$$.

Paul

• afruscione
    16 years ago

Hello,
    we are considering going for this product. Anyone has more experience by now?
    Thanks a lot!

• pcjs
    16 years ago

We have the Veranda/Fiberon Mahogany in our basement waiting to be installed - got side tracked with DIY window installation. They will send you free board and railing samples and are great on the phone... we were shocked at the nice package they sent us - their railing system is very $$$ but since we only needed one 6 foot length we went for it. But they gave us helpful comments about selecting the railing (i.e. if it was a deck for social gatherings you might want a deck with a flat rail to set drinks on). They also have nice DIY directions on the Fiberon and Veranda sections.

We decided against the hidden fastners as we have a tiny deck/entry way and if we have a problem wanted to easily remove boards. Stopspilt https://www.splitstop.com/products/index.asp sent us some free samples and we tried them with the fiberon - their new composite screws worked nicely without mushrooming but the ones with the color top (like the headcoat just melted and were harder to screw).

If you give us a few weeks.. we'll let you know how the install goes with their decking and rail system.

• organic_howard
    15 years ago

I built a deck using eon products three years ago and would not use it again for all the above mentioned reasons. That being said has any one found a way to restore the surface. It has some scratches but not too bad. It's the lack of shine that I want to restore if possible. Any ideas?

• slippery_biscuit
    15 years ago

Is Eon decking anything like Azek?

• martin_carthage
    15 years ago

Would Mop n Glo work to restore shine? Just an idea, thinking the material is a little like linoleum flooring.

• sad-shak
    14 years ago

Don't buy this product !! Major problems since installation.
    We installed an expensive deck in 2004. Within a year, some pieces begin to crack/break !! We had them replaced by EON, 2 years later again the same problem !!
    Now, the railing-skirts are cracking too !! They are from MVP railing. When I contacted them the cust-svc rep claims there was "vandalism", just from looking at the pic.
    Bad service. Bad Product !!
    Reconsider before buying this ... Horrible experience.

• sad-shak
    14 years ago

We installed MVP railings with our EON Deck.
    Recently, we noticed that the railing/skirt ( bottom piece that attaches to the floor ) have started to crack and break.
    Of course, this HAD to happen post-warranty period for my luck !!
    When I took a chance with MVP, and asked them what could be done, the rep told they would replace. But there were many such cracks and I sent them the pics dutifully!

But the rep suddenly turned nasty, and started claiming this to be vandalism ( out of the left-field!) and would not replace any of them !!

BAD PRODUCT !! WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    Have your contractor look at other options than MVP Railings.

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Eon is banko Folks. No need to even talk about it now J.

• jsboyum2_smig_net
    13 years ago

Yes eon is bankrupt but if you have broken pieces you can still order replacements from Lowe's at a price of course since there is no one to stand behind this crappy product. I regret making the choice of buying this product as it looked aweful only a very short time, scratches, fading, cracks and chunks of railing falling off. Very poor product that cost alot of $$$$$. :(

• hgw44_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Have about 800 sq ft Eon deck -- installed at home in Rocky Mtns. -- decking is fading in the sun, losing lustre, cracking/breaking in a number of places.

Bought decking materials from Home Depot. Still have their sales literature which says that there is a 25 year warranty on the decking -- doesn't say that it is a warranty from EON. Deck was bought/professionally installed 5 years ago.

Anyone know about whether Home Depot is standing behind this product they sold?

• Chase Thiel
    7 years ago

Does anyone have any eon decking that they are wanting to get rid of? I need to patch a hole in mine that will require 9 16ft boards in oak color. Appreciate any help in tracking some eon decking down so I don't have to put a whole new deck in.

• sheehyrealty
    7 years ago

I used Eon to build a deck on my log home retreat (www.heavenlyhillslodge.com) I have never liked it. It has warped with separations between some of the boards about 1 inch wide. I got a call from one of the tenants last night and his foot went right through one of the boards. Is there anything I can do about it? It needs to be totally replaced.

Susie Sheehy

• Kevin Whittler
    3 years ago

I used Eon decking about 17 years ago. The worst decking company in the world. Consumer Digest rated it the top of the line at the time and so did Home Depot. What a joke. My boards are cracking everywhere and the color is not the same. The problem that I have is that the company claimed that it was a 100% guarantee. I tried to get them to honor that guarantee and they stated that they were bankrupt and out of business. I have two decks that cost me over $20,000. I am pissed. If I replace some of the boards they will probable crack again and still the color is off. I am told the only place I can get them from is Canada. Please, whoever is thinking about Eon don't. My neighbor used Ultra decking and he is totally happy with his deck. I wish I could sue this company but that had a letter out there that wouldn't let you sue them. It is totally unfair.

• mbullard5
    3 years ago

I have an EON deck that was built in 2009. It is absolutely gorgeous. I live in Pittsburgh and it holds up with our crazy weather so I'm not sure of why he said it expands and contracts a lot. If it's installed properly there is small spacing that allows it to do so but I've never had an issues with it.

• jaymagobrogge
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I self installed an EON deck in 2002. Today I put Rejuvenate for Outdoor use on today. It was looking dull and chalky. Now it looks great. We‘ve never had any of the expanding and contracting issues or cracking and we have harsh winters and hot summers in Northwest Ohio. I’m happy with it after 19 years.

• Earl Hanlon
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We used the product some 12 to 13 years I guess and never had a problem with it installing it like it said to. We have enjoyed it and have had minimal cleaning. Used powder laundry detergent and a stiff push broom when needing cleaned after winter.

My problem now is I had a rubber mat for a grill on it and two corners got hot and stuck to it and I need to replace them if I ever move the grill off the deck. We live in central Ohio.

• HU-930126987
    last year
    last modified: last year

My Eon deck is now about 20 yeats old, its insatled in northern illinois in a heavily Wooded area by two of my finish carpenters over my exiting 12 year old treated lumber deck structure with a membrane intalled on deck joists. Yes it expands and comtracts, over a 18’ span 1/2”, yes the top coating is coming off, but its still in very good shape. I did see some installations of Eon by otther comtractors abd the installtions were all bad, they over screed the deck planks so they could not move, they had inporper spacong of the deck joists and the decking itself. the biggest probem is they didnt allow the proper spacing where the cdeck boards abbuted to the house or a post and some contractors actually screwed through the pootuct with out allowing any movemneteminent. I believe most of the probelms with this product were caused by improper instlattions.

• HU-952258291
    last year

I installed EON Cedar decking back in 2006 and need to replace a few boards. Is there any place that still supplies them? (Or anyone replacing their old deck and want to make a few bucks?)

• HU-259798768
    7 days ago
    • Built a 12 x 16 deck out the back door of the house in 2022 using the eon product. The boards have faded just a little but the deck boards and the railings are still slick and in like new shape. It was expensive to put down, but in the long run it is the cheaper way to go since you won’t have to replace it quickly if you use wood. Just as a side note, live in Western Montana where we have hard winters and hot summers.