Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for childproofing widely-spaced deck rails?

Posted by pensivefrog (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 14:11

Hi folks! I just moved into my new house, which has a nice wood deck on the second story. It does have one problem - the balusters (2" wide slats) are spaced wide enough for my 2-year-old to slip through. I don't want to put up safety mesh - I'm looking for a more permanent solution, and something a little more creative than just nailing more slats between the existing ones. I'd also like to keep an open feel to the railing because there's a nice view to the garden below. Any ideas for a fix?

This deck is also in serious need of stripping/sealing, and I have questions about that in a separate post.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for childproofing widely-spaced deck rails?

Lexan pannels. J.

o

You might be able to lace a 1/8 stainless cable between
each of the existing slats- but by the time you did that
you might be better off getting the 3/4 diameter black or bronze aluminum (one brand is DecKorator) balusters and replacing the slats with these- but leave no more than 4" space between them to meet code.

o

We had a similar problem with interior posts around a stairwell. We bought "hog wire" fencing and stapled it over the posts on the other side that couldn't be touched by little fingers. This worked great and didn't look bad at all. We just took it down when the baby was old enough.

o

My brain hasnt woke up yet, I forget what it is called now or the name of the company. Fairway maybe? I ordered it through my lumber yard.

We have it on the upper deck also but i guess I don't have any recent pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home Page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here