Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Looking for deck staining advice.

kellienoelle
10 years ago

Hello all - I moved into a new house several weeks ago and we are planning on staining our deck. Now our last house had a maintenance free composite deck, so this is all new to us. The deck/screened in porch were built when the house was remodeled in 2009, far as we can tell it is cedar, and are uncertain if it has been sealed/treated in anyway in the past. It gets quite a bit of sun.

I have a couple questions. First, what is best process to stain? What type of treatment should we do to prepare it? What products should we look at?
Second (and I realize this is a personal preference question), how would you treat the screened in porch area? It is obviously all connected but the deck will be getting a ton more sun and fade much faster than the screened in porch. I can't decide if we should just stain the whole thing, or paint some of porch area the same color as the trim of the house to tie it in better. In particular the posts and the fascia board. If we did this, would we continue this to the deck as well?

What would you do?

Comments (10)

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the deck portion. Sorry the pictures aren't very good. I snapped them on my way to work this morning and this is where the shadows had fallen. Hopefully enough to get an idea. If you need better photos I can take some when I get home.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Whether pressure treated or cedar, can't really tell from here but it looks to be cedar, I would leave it alone. If you do stain it be prepared to restain it every 2 years.

If it is dirty deck wash it with 1/4 cup of dish soap, 3 cups of laundry bleach and 1 gallon of water. Search YouTube for a how to.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, sealing isn't required to prolong the life of the deck? It isn't recommended to protect it from the elements?

This would be good news as this was not a project I was particular excited in undertaking. Plus I was hoping to plant something to hide that lattice on the bottom a bit.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a couple more pics with better lighting and fewer shadows. I am all ears if anybody has any words of wisdom or advice. I am not sure how happy I am with it in its current state to be honest. It looks like it hasn't been maintained. Of course maybe that is just letting the beauty of the wood shine through in somebody elses eyes.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the screened in porch...

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You need to weigh out the cost and effort of maintaining versus just cleaning it every year or two. you may get longer life out of it by staining and or sealing it every year or two but in the long run the costs may end up being about even. Cedar as it appears to me as well is naturally decay resistant on it's own, it very well may check (crack) with nothing done to it and it may do that even if stained and sealed.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. We may try cleaning it per the advise above and see how it looks. If we could not start the cycle of staining annually!

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Me....I'd paint the trellis and trim, then stain the deck floor. If the trellis isn't stable, consider replacing it with trellis panels that fit between the posts.
    It looks like the wood needs a good cleaning, priming and then paint (or stain). Find a painter willing to do the right prep work.

• kellienoelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have a guy who came recommended coming out tomorrow to tell us what needs to be done and provide us with a quote. I tell ya, I feel like I am an intelligent woman well versed in the art of research, but this deck thing has me stumped. Everywhere you read you get conflicting advise.

• JoanLast
    10 years ago

What did you decide to do? We are attempting to stain our deck this weekend. We had our decks re-stained professionally two years ago. They used Sherwin Williams, Deckscapes semi-transparent. The decks look terrible now. The painter charged me over $5k two years ago and wants to charge $2k to re-do now. The painter had the Sherwin Williams rep out and he did not stand by the product at all. We decided to do it ourselves. We were going to use a Behr solid stain due to CR reviews. Now I'm seeing a lot of people have been unhappy with that product in other reviews. It is so much work; I'd hate to use a bad product. We cleaned the deck yesterday and are planning on sanding and staining today. I was hoping to get some good advice on GW. I'm currently more involved in the kitchen forum.