Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my deck and ledger board

Posted by analogmusicman (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 14:05

so my house was built in '79 and of course the codes weren't as strict as they are now, especially concerning decks. I'm concerned about the deck since it sits about 8' above ground. I'd like to strengthen the connection between the "ledger board" and the "rim joist". Im thinking the code back then only called for it to be nailed.I guess new construction has to have "carriage bolts" in a certain pattern but of course that's impossible with a house that's already built. maybe lag screws? from what I'm reading,the codes are tough now because of some decks that have pulled away from the house and collapsed. that would be an utter disaster for me since the deck is so high above ground.

tnx,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my deck and ledger board

imagine that,nobody seems to know what a "ledger board" or a "rim joist" is! :-)

o

I think we know what they are. It just isn't clear what you are asking! Are you asking whether building codes in your area allow for the use of lag bolts?

o

As Dennis said, your post didn't seem to really be asking a question.

But since you want a response, I'll ask some questions.
I guess new construction has to have "carriage bolts" in a certain pattern but of course that's impossible with a house that's already built.
Why do you think that's impossible? Do you just mean more difficult?
maybe lag screws
Maybe. Have you asked your permitting office what is required?

Are you wanting to bring your deck up to code or just make it better than it currently is?

I'm looking at the picture you posted and I'm wondering why you posted it. How is that supposed to help? A close up of painted wood?!? :)

o

The main reason for deck failure is the deck coming away from the house. Lag bolts may help but without knowing the structure, you cant be sure.

The best way to do it is some sort of Lateral bracing. Simpson has a bracket for this but you need to be able to get at the inside of the house structure. If you want to be safe, this is the way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simpson lateral support.

o

it is true that the current codes call for some latteral bracing the does for the most part requre getting to the floor joist on the inside. However, it is highly likely that your house was built with a solid rim joist on top of the sill plate and the adding of Ledger Loks through your deck ledger into the house rim will do a tremendous amount to keeping your deck attached to your house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here