Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
John Hyatt ? NW Arkansas Ipe/Garapa help

Posted by mikacharlie (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 13:58

I've engaged a builder for a new deck but here in Eureka Springs, AR no one seems to even know about Ipe. I made the mistake of having several hundred sq.ft. of deck/wrap around walk-way porches built last summer with PT and I hate it.

I've read on this forum one should only use a builder w/experience in this type of wood but that will not be possible.

Long miserable reno story but we have lots of decks now but none with direct entry from house so we need this new one aprx. 12x12 plus a stairway leading from front porch.

Oh, and to complicate things here we're governed by the Historic Commission and they insisted NO composite decking.

Isn't the source you recommend too far? And can a builder with no experience in this handle the job?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: John Hyatt ? NW Arkansas Ipe/Garapa help

Hmmmmmm Eureka Springs land of the vacation travler,ex land of the ol gangsters, cool little place.

12' x 12' with a stairway ipe decking and railing. Well shoot Charlie I might just drift on over there and do that little thing my self. In any case I could get the material shiped over. Give me a call www.deckmastersllc.com J.

o
RE: John Hyatt ? NW Arkansas Ipe/Garapa help

Hey John, You missed an awesome Blues Festival this weekend! Music, art, food, drink, and gorgeous Victorian architecture, and magical natural setting - COME ON DOWN anytime! You may know we're a little different here - quirky, liberal - sometimes referred to as "Mayberry on Acid" or just Freaky Eureeky."

We're waiting to hear back from builder, so I may give you a ring in a few days. He recommended we build a sunroom/screen porch instead of open deck but we've decided that would darken the living room too much so plan is to possibly screen the PT deck which is already under the planned upper deck. Railing yes, but no stairs from this deck. The stairs are from different areas and we'll probably use the PT wood we'll have plenty of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here