Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lanill

the never-ending deck finishing debate

lanill
17 years ago

I am about to finish a Cambera Mahogany deck with CWF UV. Anyone out there have a product they prefer?

I have used this product before in a former house with a mahogany deck. Usually, after two years, we would powerwash and re-do. It always looked great, never peeled, but always needed to be done within that time span. Is there any other product that lasts longer? This never peeled and was not difficult to clean up to re-do. I am willing to change brands if there is something on the market that is a better product. Send in those recommendations!

Comments (16)

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Everything is better than CWF

• lanill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm open to any and all ideas. The forecast is for rain in the Northeast for the next few days, which gives me time to return the CWF and get something else. Suggestions?

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Do Not Use Any cwf,,product,and I am being kind. John

• lanill
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, now that I know that I'm taking my 5 gallon container of CWF UV back, what should I get instead?

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

twp 100 series seems popular on these boards.
    http://www.twp100.com/
    if you review the messages on the forum and click back in time a bit.. you'll see tons of conversations about stains.
    The debate rages on.

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Start by reading this (I'll link below) so you can be an informed consumer as to exactly what you are looking for.

Also keep in mind any remaining CWF on the deck needs to come off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy to understand sealer info

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

TWP 100 series is the best out door finish I have found yet,hands down,no contest.There is no debate. J

• shelland
    17 years ago

Can anyone point me to pictures of any finished decks with any of these colors on them? I read a lot about TWC 100 Series, ATO, etc, but it's so hard to picture the colors on my deck based on that little pic on the website or brochure.

Pictures of actual decks would be SO helpful! :) I'd really be interested in seeing TWC 115, TWC 116 and ATO colors. (and anything else anyone might recommend)

Also, is TWC available in stores, or only via the website?

Ken - I plan on ordering some RAD in the next few days to clean up my deck next weekend!

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Thank Shelland! If you send me an email over at my customer service address on the website, I will send you back some pictures of ATO colors on some hardwoods.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

TWP is sold at high end paint stores,I get it from my good ol local lumber yard. J

• shelland
    17 years ago

I didn't see TWP at Sherman Williams or Hirshfield's, so maybe I can't find it locally. I'll keep searching...

Is there a "dealer locator" on their webpage that I'm overlooking?

• gorillabuilder
    17 years ago

They do sell it from website also.

Here is a link that might be useful: twp stpre

• nachum
    17 years ago

I bought a new house in Amherst,MA with a "maple" hardwood floor and a "mahogany" deck. The U.S. Forest Service laboratory analyzed the deck wood and told me it was not mahogany, but cambara, which is NOT mahogany. The "maple" result is not back yet, but it is definitely a softer wood. So...I'm curious...why do you call cambara mahogany? Also, I was told by the builder that the deck didn't need refinishing, as "mahogany" looked better weathered. This seems not to be the case, however, and I now need to do something as it is deteriorating after just 2 MA winters. Thompson Mahogony's website sells "Messmer's UV Plus"...any other recommendations?

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

Do Not Use Anything with Thompsons on the lable or if its even conected with it. The best outdoor finish I have ever found is twp 100 series. John

• shelland
    17 years ago

I found a local dealer that sells TWP today. They happen to have 101 (and only 101) on sale this month for 18.99/gallon. Does anyone have pictures of a deck finished with 101 and/or 116?

I just need to make the decision between ATO and TWP...

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

ATO looks incredible on hardwoods, doesn't hold up more than a season. TWP, looks pretty darn good, but more durable.

Or you combine the best of all worlds and develop a system of deep penetrating oil followed by locking topcoat sealer that still penetrates, locks at the surface and doesn't crack or peel. Sikkens has one, but I have a better one... coming soon.