Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonaliagrawal_gw

Need input on how to restore this deck before re-staining.

sonaliagrawal
13 years ago

I have a wooden balcony from the top level of my house. It is in pretty good shape(to me, at least!). I want to re-stain it this month. But it seems to me that there are some holes and lines that might need to be filled. Attached are some pictures. Could you pls take a look and give me some input on how bad do u think the deck condition is, and how to go about filling the holes(about 3 such holes) and the lines (about a quarter of the planks have such lines). Also what should the process be for re-staining? Right now there is a solid stain on the deck. The deck gets full sun for at least half a day.

Thank you!

This one was caused by my dog:

Comments (9)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Its time for a reskin on that one.

No way would I waste time and money on new finish. J.

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To make it last another year, can I do some water proofing treatment that might help? I cant reskin it this year unfortunately.

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Nothing is going to help that deck including any water proofing. Water damage at this point is the least of your problems.

Nail plywood over the holes and dont trip over the fasteners. J.

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Apologies for being a decking newbie... Could you explain what you see as being a problem for my deck? Is it water rot? Is it the 3-4 holes that I have in there (I dont think I need to change the whole deck for those few holes).

If you could elaborate, then it would help me understand the issues better. Thank you!

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Im done with ya Man.

J.

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is there anybody else who hangs out in these boards who is not such a .... super snob ... ?

I am typically around on the Home Decorating, Kitchens and Bathrooms forums. There is PLENTY of knowledgeable people who love to share their experiences and give out guidance. I have not once encountered such rude responses as I have from you - john_hyatt. This is the second time that I have seen this from you to any question of mine, and incidentally this is also the second time that I have ever posted on these boards. I just HAD to call you out on this, this time. If you are not willing to help people - then just dont respond, or dont even hang out on these forums!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

An exterior wood filler?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Intersting E Mail dude.

One thing about me there is a map to my house on the site. Any personal problem can be set to rest real quick if ya want. J.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

To the OP:

* In the last pic, that board is too cracked-open to use safely. Wood splits occasionally...not much you can do about it. Decks see a LOT of thermal contraction/expansion. Some boards just can't take it for long, no matter how good the stain is.
    * For safety's sake, replace any other cracking boards.
    * For a band-aid approach ONLY...fill holes with some 2-part wood-filler...IF you can't replace any boards.
    * NOW...rent a Flat-plate/Vibrating sander with a 12" x 18" bottom-plate. Buy some backer-pads and 60-grit sanding sheets.
    * Sink all those screws below surface, and sand the deck floor.
    * You'll be sanding a while, but you're getting-rid of all that degraded wood that won't take stain anymore. You'll be exposing NEW wood fiber-structure that will TAKE AND HOLD stain evenly now.
    * My Redwood deck was built in '96...FULL sun...6' high. Have used Penofin's Transparent-Redwood originally, & Sikkens SRD Redwood #089 stain the last couple stainings.
    * Last year, I sanded my 2x10 Redwood skirtboards, Redwood steps, and all spindles.
    * Deck floor has been sanded twice in 14 yrs.

BOTTOM LINE:
    Thanks to sanding and good deck stains, my 14y/o deck looks better than some NEW ones.

>>> I work at a busy store that sells Sikkens and Penofin stains, and higher-end paints. I post a lot on the Paint forum.
    * The FIRST question I ask people..."Has your deck ever been sanded"? If it's been 8-10 yrs, I tell-'em it's time.
    * Cleaning doesn't do much if the wood is too degraded, like yours is.
    * I have other posts/pics on this forum too, related to my deck.

Faron