Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Promax screws for Ipe

Posted by thinkstoomuch (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 13:22

I'm considering using Promax 305 stainless steel screws (McFeely's) for my 1x6 Ipe decking. I will be plugging all screws.
The concern I have is that the smallest screw length is 2 3/8ths. From previous posts, several people think that length is fine. But these screws have a longer portion of unthreaded shank (1 5/16ths). Will having a significant portion of the unthreaded shank going into the PT joist cause a problem?

Thanks All!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Promax screws for Ipe

They are great screws, but if you're plugging, get the promax nocorode...2 3/8". No need for stainless, unless you live by the ocean.

steve

o

The purpose of the unthreaded part of the screw is to help pull the deck board tight to the joist. The unthreaded part needs to extend past the thickness of the decking into the PT joist. The screw will snap at the top of the threads as soon as the head seats if some of the threads are still in the hard deck board. So the unthreaded part of the shank needs to be a bit longer than the thickness of the decking to avoid breakage as you snug the decking tight with the cordless impact driver.

o

Thanks Steve and Aidan!

Aidan - I understand what you are saying. Can I assume from this that using the 2 3/8ths on a 1x6 won't cause problems? It's only a problem when you use a screw that is too short and the threaded part remains in the decking board?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here