Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steveo90290_gw

Redwood Siding and Decks

SteveO90290
11 years ago

Hello,

I am in the process of stripping the old solid color stain from my 1940's home, and refinish the redwood decks. I found that the whole house is old growth vertical grain clear redwood. I don't want to use a solid stain again. I am open to a transparent stain/sealer, and the continuous maintenance issues that come with it. I have a couple of questions for the board to assist me in achieving my desired end result. I am 1/4 of the wy around the house with the sanding so I have some time to decide.

-I have power washed with low pressure,no chemicals, to remove most of the failing finish, sanding to remove the rest. Do I need to wash down everything again with a brightener, or other chemicals, to remove sawdust and balance the PH, unseen spores, or any other reason?

-I want a non film forming sealant, for the ease of future maintenance. I am in southern California. Are any of the California compliant products going to achieve this.

-Mildew, My house is in an shaded oak tree grove on a north facing slope. I have mildew stains on the concrete hardscape. Are there any products that fit the above and resist mildew?

Thanks,

SteveO90290

Comments (3)