Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temporary Stairs: Skidproofing and Staining

Posted by edlincoln (My Page) on
Wed, May 29, 13 at 11:04

I built a set of temporary stairs last winter out of what I think is pressure treated wood. Do I have to stain it or something?
Also, where can I get small quantities of skid proofing paint.

It doesn't have to look great, I'm looking for "quick and dirty" solutions. The catch is, it is a small project, and many of the products I look at are sold in quantities that are much too big.

Does clear spray epoxy skiproofing in a can do anything to waterproof the wood, or wood I have to use it after I stain?

If I use a spray can of wood preservative, would that prevent me from doing a proper staining job later?

Is it OK to use these projects the day after a rain storm? It's not at my house, so there are logistical issues.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temporary Stairs: Skidproofing and Staining

Do not treat the wood before application of the non skid paint.

I have lots of experience with non skid coatings on various surfaces. For PT wood, the main challenge is dimensional change over the seasons. The paint must be able to withstand cracking when the wood expands, and not peel off.

The basic concept is to have clean wood and use a high quality exterior grade primer. 1-2-3 zinsser works well. Allow to dry all day in the sun before recoating with non-skid.

For the non-skid paint, a good method is to use a 2-part floor epoxy, and mix in some clean sand after it's been stirred together. The amount of sand is up to you. As long as you can still roll it on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here