Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure washing bad for deck?

Posted by jvan (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 10:58

I've been told not to pressure wash my deck as it would make it more likely to get splinters. Is that so? I plan to stain my deck, perhaps I should just brush it with some bleach water.

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure washing bad for deck?

When I moved into my house the deck was all black so I pressure washed it and it will tend to raise the fibers or make the wood fuzzy, at least on softwoods. When I put the finish on, the fibers layed down but this will probably shorten the life of the finish somewhat.

Also, it tends to gouge out the areas between the grain.

If you have to pressure wash you want to use a moderate pressure machine which may be had to find.

I would use commercial deck cleaners - which ones depends on what if anything is on your deck and what condition it's in. Normally it's a stripper (some recommend it at half strength even if there's no finish on your deck) and a lightner. Brand doesn't really matter IMO since there all based on the same chemicals. These are available at the home centers.

o
RE: Pressure washing bad for deck?

jvan,

I would pick a stain, and then follow the recommendations on the factory website (usually more info than on the can).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here