Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demphilly

1960s Colonial exterior basement steps in the way!

DEMPhilly
9 years ago

I have a mid 1960s colonial that has created an interesting dilemma for us in terms of future patio (or deck) design. We're not sure how to work around the existing exterior basement steps (put in at the time of build by the original owners). Although we rarely use these steps, we don't really want to remove them, since that would be costly, as well as get rid of the basement egress in case of an emergency or fire.

So, that's where the conundrum lies. The steps separate our property in two, which is longer, rather than wider. We would like to install a patio just outside our screened in porch, and I have pie in the sky ideas of converting the windows to French doors and having a patio on the other side of the steps as well. The steps currently have wood fencing around them (as seen in the picture) that's falling apart and are quite wide and deep -- 7 ft wide x 13 ft deep! I have thought about just embracing the steps, and creating built-in bench seating on either sides of the steps, but the area would still be split in two...

I have attempted to search all over the Web for others who have similar issues, but to no avail. We are quite unique in our neighborhood -- our landscaper has told us that we're the only house he's come across with this issue. He's all out of ideas too! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!