Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakemayor

Azek Decking Material - What do you think about it?

lakemayor
13 years ago

We are planning on replaceing our treated wood deck with a composite material. There are so many choices out there but I want to make sure I buy the best on the market today. Azek has been recommended and I have read some good things about it. I want to hear from someone who has used it for a few years.

Also, we had squirrels eat our treated wood deck. Will they do that to the composite material?

Comments (195)

• Kam
    4 years ago

mmcewen5, our case was moved to inactive until the spring. We have had a lot of rainy days till now but will be making a call for a site visit. We have the same color as you. Will post result of the product they sent and the result of their site visit.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Azek is probably the worst composite decking to ever hit the market not counting some of the other brands like Veranda, etc .

• PRO
    TimberTech
    4 years ago

@Kam @mmcewen5We are sorry to hear of this. Please comment or DM/PM us on Instagram or Facebook your full name, phone number, and email so that we can help remedy the situation!

• mmcewen5
    4 years ago

Timbertech. I’m not sure where to PM you on Facebook. There are multiple Facebook pages.

• Kam
    4 years ago

Ok, I called Ken V. Of Azek on Monday and left a message on the voicemail. I asked if I should go ahead and clean the deck using the products they had sent or wait for him to make a site visit. Since it’s Wednesday evening and I haven’t heard from him, my family and I went ahead and cleaned the deck. Here are some photos. I will post a picture in the morning when the deck is completely dry. I hope I have good news to share.

• Kam
    4 years ago

Ok, after using the product that Azek recommended, after drying mopping once again, the deck looked good. Then our deck furniture was delivered. We had to walk on the wet grass to put the furniture on the deck and sure enough, prints show as dirt. It is supposed to rain again tonight and through the day tomorrow so we will see if they get washed out. Photos below:

• mmcewen5
    4 years ago

The rain or a hose doesn’t wash it off, that’s the problem. Supposed to be low maintenance and it’s nothing but maintenance. We have someone coming out

• Kam
    4 years ago

Here are two more photos after cleaning:

• Kam
    4 years ago

@mmcewen5, everything you have described has happened with our deck. The odor from the heat of the sun, the staining that won’t be washed off, etc. after using the gutter cleaning product Azek sent over, I was happy with how the boards looked, though it took effort and also dry mopping to get the excess water removed. I enjoyed it for an hour before we had to walk on the deck which caused the marking again. There is still NO communication from the company.

Azek is NOT low maintenance and difficult service from the company

• Kam
    4 years ago

The rain didn’t wash away the marks.

Azek rep still hasn’t returned my call.

should have stuck to wood material. Personal opinion

• patriciamaxwell
    4 years ago

So sorry it sounds all to familiar.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

I’m really sorry for all your troubles. To me it looks like a bad batch of material and Azek did not want to admit and do anything about it. As I said before, I have nothing like your experience and you can see a lot other people are very very happy with this material. Mine is already 2 years old. Honestly, I did not bother to read what recommendations from Azek are for cleaning after fall and winter season, leaves, pollen etc. Just took our less powrful electrical pressure washer and did it at the end of April and everything is as it was as installed. We had a lot of smaller pieces left form our deck and left them in the part of the backyard under another of trees and wit other leftover construction pieces. We purposely did not get rid of them because we were planning to use them for some diy outdoor furniture. I pull them under the garbage yesterday and they were stained, green residue, marks from water collection, some pots were sitting there for two years. Garden hose did not do anything and after reading all this I thought that this I bad. Wash them with pressure washer again, they are looking brand new now. No smell for me too, but I live in Seattle area, so we are not having extreme heat or cold. It Is very expensive material and labor and Azek should be on top of it!

• mmcewen5
    4 years ago

Kam. Where do you live? We live in Ohio and have had nothing but rain but the dirt never washes off. We have someone coming out Wednesday My husband is an attorney. We plan to sue if there is no resolution. This is not what we paid for or were promised.

• mmcewen5
    4 years ago

I think it’s faded too. Ordered a sample from the company.

• Kam
    4 years ago

NY

• Bob Clabaugh
    4 years ago

l thought l should post a follow up.

l did receive a call about 6 months ago from an Azek CSR, looking for documentation regarding my installation.

Two contractors installed at two separate times, and their recordkeeping was not the best. So we stained over the damage squirrels made on all our decorative exterior Azek clad beans and entry pergola.

I am surprised no one has experienced squirrel damage. Our material was white, then stained copper. The past two winters squirrels either clawed or gnawed at only the Azek, exposing the white material beneath.
    Azek rep says they don't warrant for that. No surprise!!!

• smcc100
    4 years ago

I am joining the club of people who have had nothing but problems with
    Timbertech Azek decking! Our deck is brand new and the installation was a nightmare! Multiple issues with sagging, melting, cupping,standing water, very hot! Our contractors say it is the worst material ever used! All their claims are basically false advertising and misrepresentation! I wish I’d never heard of it! Their customer service is insulting...no wonder there are class action lawsuits!

• gjhdevelopments
    4 years ago

DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

We did a massive deck 60x12. The decking is so hot in the summer ( Chicago) we have to wear shoes and its not easy on the dog either! Its also almost impossible to clean! I drove 25 miles each way to get the manufacturers recommended cleaner and it took hours to get clean! The dog has muddy paws when it rains a lot and it always looks horrible!!

• PRO
    ElementLumber.com
    4 years ago

Hate hearing stories like this.... if there’s one place you should be able to relax at your house it’s on your deck. Particularly in regions where your outdoor season is so short (lived in Madison for 5 years so I get it). While we primarily sell and encourage the use of tropical hardwoods like Ipe we do carry the Deckorator Voyage and Vault lines and have happy customers with the product in Florida. Understand this is no help to you but others who may be considering an alternative to wood should investigate these two product lines.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

Is Azek now owned by TimberTech? I did have very good experience, third season in a row. I was planing to replace a small porch, what a surprise the price is up from 4.18 to 5.13 per Lin ft and it is now selling as TimberTech Azek.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Yes, TimberTech took over Azek a while back.

• Simona Stafano
    4 years ago

....and looks like increase the price!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

With everything that is going on, everyone is losing money, so manufacturers stuck with the inventory and lumber yards not doing much either nowadays, so the prices most likely going to go up on everything until this mess blows over.

• navaroneiws
    3 years ago

We purchased a house last fall that has an Azek composite deck. We had to have the roof replaced and the roof contractors put tarps on the deck to protect it from the tar etc from the torn-off shingles. These splotches appeared after the tarp was removed. The tarps were on the deck from 7am to 4pm. We had no idea there would be a problem until we found the Azek brochure the previous homeowner left. I'm guessing there is nothing we can do to get the color even!!!!

• patriciamaxwell
    3 years ago

Try Deck Max . You may have to apply it every year or every other . But it is the only thing that is somewhat of a solution . Azek decking was the most expensive mistake we have ever made and the company is no help . Sorry

• KEITH Gundersen
    3 years ago

Navaron

If I were you I’d contact the roofing contractor who provided the tarp to cover your deck when they did your roof. It appears some sort of residue was left from the tarp or a drastic tpwr change between the time they put the tarp on and when they took it off. you should also contact Azek directly and ask about the warranty. They provide a lifetime warranty on their product, depending on what type of decking was installed.

• Simona Stafano
    3 years ago

Azek is not composite material.

• HU-291445583
    3 years ago

Scratches way too easily and any metal deck furniture leaves rust spots, not stains, on it. I say not stains because they do clean up rather easily.

• Kerrie Kavulic
    3 years ago

Do NOT buy! Just finished a screened in porch haven’t even been in there yet and my floor already looks 30 years old. My neighbor used Trex and her floor looks brand new. Such such a scam. You’re are looking to contact the company. Most expensive mistake ever made!

• Kerrie Kavulic
    3 years ago

And we haven’t even used it yet!!!! Absolutely horrible flooring

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Walked away from this material the minute it hit the market...did 1st job with it and never touched it again.

• PRO
    Wight's Deck + Design
    3 years ago

Let's make sure we are keeping facts straight here. If you Kerrie hasn't used this space then this is a contractor/supplier issue. The product doesn't come scratched and dinged(if it does return it). Once Kerries has used the space she can review durability. As is this is a contractor/supplier review not decking.

• Simona Stafano
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That is my deck after Pacific Northwest winter of rain, not clean yet, built in august 2017. Looks same.I’m extremely happy with this product, like the look and no maintenance. I wish I can find similar fence material

• nechowder
    2 years ago

We installed Azek in 2015 and six years later, couldn't be happier with it. It replaced pressure treated lumber. I don't remember the exact color we purchased, but it's brown. We used the invisible fasteners for both the deck and the screened in porch. We've had zero issues with this material; it looks like it did the day it was installed. We're in North GA, so no sub-zero temps, but it does get into the teens in the winter and up to 90 in the summer. The deck is covered with a rug in the middle (so our bare feet don't fry in the heat) and there's no difference in color between under the rug and the bare deck. The deck is cleaned twice a year with the hose and 30 Second cleaner and that's it. (The screened in porch is washed once a year and vacuumed as needed.) Leaf stains in the fall wash off when it rains. Grease from grilling wipes off with a Magic Eraser. I'd install this material again in a heartbeat.

• jcmafarrand
    2 years ago

We installed our Azek decking 12 years ago and have had the same great results as nechowder. And last year was the first year we cleaned it. It can mark if something hard is scraped over it but normal use has not been a problem, and we move patio table and chairs around all the time.

I do have to say that it is possible that Azek has gone through cost reduction programs recently (all companies have) but went too far; many companies have. But, as long as it is still made of all PVC, I would guess that it can't be too bad.

• Depok R
    2 years ago

Installing an Azek Mahogany deck in Seattle. Is it safe to put pvc pots (like the big planters from Costco)? I can’t tell what material can be left on the deck other than not to leave rubber backed mats. Anyone have tips on this?

• Ray Katta
    2 years ago

Not happy with Axek. Dog nails leave scratches, metal furniture leaves marks, very hot to the touch in the sun (probably any composite), gives off an odor of plastic when in sun.

• Patricia Roussin
    last year

Must treat with Deck Max every year to repair fade and chalky appearance. Tricky weather restrictions for using product. Deck Max is not cheap. Azek is high maintenance in my opinion.

• PRO
    Wight's Deck + Design
    last year

Hi Patricia. Have you filed a warranty claim? I would be interested in hearing if this is covered or not and why/why not.

• Patricia Roussin
    last year

Yes, they provided a supply of Deck Max. Fading and chalkiness was not covered under my warranty. I think they started selling a new line right after we installed ours which might cover those defects under warranty.

• PRO
    Wight's Deck + Design
    last year

Patricia. This is interesting. What collection and color is your decking? When did you purchase the product? Thank you so much for your insight.

• Patricia Roussin
    last year

Azek Terra Collection, Sedona. Purchased 2013 I think. Warranty request submitted 2019.

• mjdepalma
    last year

Looks like I will filing a lawsuit as well. There is a black residue generated from the pavers has been an issue from 1-2 years after install on our new build. Literally the pavers burn your feet in the sun and after walking on them for even 2-3 minutes the soles of our feet are black - coated in a soot residue that appears to be from the pavers eroding. After filing a complaint with the receipt and pictures we got a response that all we can do is clean it. We paid a crazy amount to get the deck powerwashed and the rubber residue is still there. We will be filing a lawsuit as well. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT or ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

Here is the response I got today:

I have received your Azek pavers claim information regarding your complaint. After reviewing the photos and the claim form provided, TimberTech has determined your claim to be a non-warrantable issue as there are no material defects. It appears your pavers have weathered. All outdoor products, natural and manmade will experience weathering. Contributing factors to weathering include the environment, moisture, sunlight, heat, time and other variables which may vary by region or geography. Normal weathering is an aesthetic issue and not a performance or product warranty issue, nor considered a material defect. We market the pavers to weather.

So we paid over $12K for pavers that did not even last 4 years and this is the AWESOME customer service reply.

Don't waste your money.

• H D
    last year

Mjdepalma— so sorry to hear about your problems with the pavers. Did the company try to offer any fixes, such as cleaning products? Curious which product line you have and the color. I’m guessing it’s a very dark color?

• jredona
    10 months ago

SIGNIFICANT WATER POOLING ACROSS NEW DECK SURFACE

We recently had a deck built with TimberTech Azek and it looks great. The product was recommended by our contractor and Big Creek Lumber. It is not cheap, nor was the installation ($40,000+). We had realistic expectations, but now we have problems.

PROBLEMS: We have significant water pooling/cupping from a couple rains and some heavy mist. (I've also noticed dried dirt marks left behind when it finally dries, but that's a secondary issue.)

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

1. I reached out via phone to a representative from the website. He assured me that some "beading" was natural and over time this would stop. When it didn't stop, I reached out to my contractor because this is not "beading"; this is pooling. I waited a few more weeks and after more pooling from heavy mist and fog, I reached out to my contractor.
    2. My conscientious contractor said he has used this material before and has not seen or heard of the issue from any of his clients. He promptly gave me his rep's name and number.
    3. The rep said she's had no issues over the past 2 years and she would check—with someone—at the company. She emailed saying that "beading" was normal at first. I sent her deck photos of:
    • Pooling/cupping from rain comparing my neighbor's dry, non-cupping, deck (with another composite-type product). So side by side, at the same time of day, with same weather conditions and sun exposure, my neighbor's deck was dry while mine was significantly pooling with standing water along the entire surface.
    • I also sent a photo of significant pooling/cupping from heavy mist.

I have asked the rep for a timeline of when this should stop or resolve itself. I haven't heard back yet and am concerned.

A site search brought me to this page with the following:

• TimberTech's stated superiority over wood decking cupping.
    • Product promotion that helps prevent cupping.
    • Suggestions to dry your deck with a squeegee or mop when there is standing water.
    • Dangers of "standing water," becoming slick (falling danger) and damage to the wood substructure.

In summary, the site does not come out and admit pooling/cupping, but it talks about dangers and care of standing water.

WHERE TO GO FROM HERE:

I'll be calling the rep and asking for a site visit asap, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

• H D
    9 months ago

Thanks for the update jredona and would love to hear if you’ve made any progress. To clarify what you mean by cupping— we have a new Timbertech deck , and the rain does pool on some of the boards after rain and eventually evaporates. Is that what you mean by cupping?

• HU-922293354
    9 months ago

We just had an Azek PVC deck built and was finished yesterday. We have scuff marks all over the decking boards.... What would cause scuff marks? It looks like the deck is old not brand new

• jredona
    9 months ago

@HD The cupping is pooling or standing water on my deck. The website tries to make the distinction between cupping (maybe warped boards) and standing water. Either way, water is pooling on the deck and not drying like any of our neighbors with both wood and composite materials. It seems to have improved, but we haven't had much rain lately to test.

• Patricia Roussin
    9 months ago

My azek decking showed white marks where plastic sheet laid on top in sun. Not sure if this is what your scuff mark looks like. Had to use Deckmax to restore surface.