Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musicalmom

Best solution to fix up old deck.

musicalmom
13 years ago

Hi! I have an old deck, maybe 30 yrs, and it absolutely needs to be replaced. We don't have money to do this for 2-4 years. In the meantime we'd like to make it a little less of an eye sore. We've replaced some rotting boards with something other than redwood so I thought painting over the whole thing would be a quick "fix", however, I read that if you paint, you should paint 2 layers of primer. I'm looking for inexpensive and relatively little work. If I paint it, I don't want it all chipped in the first month. If we stain, I'm concerned the prep of the deck will be too intense. The current deck has mottled old paint on it. It would need major power washing and maybe even a paint stripper? Anyhow, we don't mind hard work but don't want to put too much into this temporary "fix". Thanks for your input.

Comments (7)

• sierraeast
    13 years ago

I'd clean it and paint it with some relativly inexpensive and cheap primer / paint like kilz primer & behr at home depot. A cheap primer & paint will last 2-4 years if you prep it right by giving it a good cleaning. I would only address the problem areas of the old paint and prime /paint over the existing, one coat each. The most important issue is making sure it remains safe structurally.

• loves2read
    13 years ago

the Flood mfg "bonding agent" you mention that should be added to the deck stain or paint--
    is that like an acrylic that will permeate and fill in the places where the tops of boards are split and fissured...
    so that the mixture coats/evens the surface of the boards???

if this does not--if it is mainly to get good adhesion of the paint vs filling in the rough parts...
    can you recommend something that DOES fill in the fissures and turns the boards in something that looks more like new/solid wood vs fence boards that are too rough to walk on

• Faron79
    13 years ago

RENT A SANDER:

Specifically a " 12"x18" Vibrating-plate sander" for the main deck floor. You'll have to buy a couple backer-pads and some 60-grit paper in addition.

In an HOUR...you'll have a new deck floor, that will absorb and hold stain evenly...everywhere!

(I've posted a few times on this forum about this...if ya wanna search...)

Screw the strippers, dry-times...ya-da ya-da...

Sanding will give you a new deck!!!
    (I've sanded my 15y/o Redwood deck floor twice in that time. Still looks better than some 5y/o decks I've seen...)

Faron

• dgo1223
    13 years ago

Faron79, will this work on my deck made of pressure treated wood? (I'm assuming that's what it is, it's 15 yrs. old, and it looks to be)

I used the Behr stain on it 2 years ago to freshen it up. Now it looks worse than ever, with large streaks of it worn off.

• Nicole Snyder
    6 years ago

Hi there! I’m preparing to repaint my deck and could use some expert advice. My deck currently has paint on it. Do I need to make sure that all of the paint is off and the deck has been completely responded before repainting, or do I just need to make sure that all of the loose paint is off (using a power washer) but whatever paint is remaining can be painted over as long as the deck is clean and dry before repainting? Sanding or not necessary? All paint completely off or not necessary? Thanks so much!

• millworkman
    6 years ago

Loose paint removed, cleaned well surface, and know whether or not the previous paint was oil or latex.