Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syl22_gw

How to remove Thompson's WaterSeal on a deck?

Syl22
10 years ago

Hi,
I installed the Thompson water seal product on my cedar deck last year, and since then I have many problems; the surface is sticky and it collect the dirt; the colors between the gallons where unequal and the so is the deck. Then I decided this year to change the product, and what I discovered is that this stuff is nearly impossible to remove, I tried all the deck cleaner and striper on the market, and none of them were able to dissolve the ThompsonâÂÂs sealer, even the strongest Thompson striper canâÂÂt remove its own product. I have to remove this stuff because nothing can stick over it, somebody have a trick?

Comments (19)

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Sandpaper.

I've posted some threads on this!

Faron

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Sand it as mentioned above, then you will need to chemically treat it if your going to refinish.

• Syl22
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to sand it but with no result, the Thompson's water seal product is sticky like warm paraffin and it instantly clog the sandpaper. So here is the only recipe that worked for me...

1. Remove the product with a real wood striper, i used "Super remover" this product can dissolve about anything, wear gloves and glasses. Apply and scape.
    2. Use a green abrasive pad with "Super remover" and scrub the surface.
    3. Sand the surface. It will still clog the sandpaper but it will work.
    4. Use a green abrasive pad with âÂÂThompsonâÂÂs water seal heavy duty deck cleanerâ and scrub. It will clean the surface and let it with an even color.
    5. Rinse with water.
    6. Refinish. I used Sikkens SRD with a good result.

The result will be good but be ready to work hard about one hour for each ten square feet of surface.

The best advice is keep away of that stuff.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Sanding alone does just fine.

Make sure you rent a Vibrating-flat-plate sander, and use 60-grit paper. 80-grit after that is totally optional, but may help wood benches, etc.

Faron

• deckowner1
    10 years ago

I failed to mention that using EC 1800 is very easy. Simply brush it on, let it stand for 20 minutes and lightly scrub, then rinse with heavy spray from a water hose or light pressure wash. It does not harm any plants or animals and leaves the bare wood ready for a new product. You do not have to apply any chemicals to reset the ph balance in the wood before applying a new sealer. EC 1800 contains no chemicals, therefore, does not alter the ph of the wood.

• Amberoni
    9 years ago

The EC-1800 work great for removing Thompson's water seal. How ever the name of the product is different. I spoke with this great lady on the phone and the new name is ESHC- Hydrocarbon Cleaner by a company called Earth Smart Solutions. They used to be EcoChem but bought out the company when the old owners retired. But I must say that this is a great product i even had some product left over and tried it around my house for cleaning!

Here is a link that might be useful: ESHC- Hydrocarbon Cleaner

• PRO
    The Other Side scapes and turf
    8 years ago

What dilution rate did you use?

• retepnworb
    8 years ago

I would love to use the EcoChem EC-1800 to remove Thompson's Water Seal from my deck but called the company and learned 2 things - first they seem to have discontinued that product and replaced it with #127 citrus degreaser and second, they sell in 6 gallon minimum quantities which is more than I need. I asked if they could refer me to a firm in my area that sources their products for industrial cleaning applications but they could not.

Does anyone have a source for smaller quantities of this product? Does anyone have experience using the replacement citrus cleaner for Thompson's?

Thanks!

• josegraterol
    8 years ago

I am also on the same dilemma as retepnworb - anybody wants to share the cost of the product? I will not need 6 gallons. LMK.

• Kyle Evans
    8 years ago

retepnworb & josegraterol, I had success getting the product from the new company Earth Smart Solutions. Apparently they merged companies 2.5 years ago and the ESHC is still the same product and ingredients. It is available in 2 Liter and 20 Liter sizes.

http://www.earth-smart-solutions.com/collections/oil-hydrocarbon-solutions/products/hydrocarbon-cleaner-degreaser?variant=967674497

• Kyle Evans
    8 years ago

I just noticed there is a second company based out of New Zealand called ecochem, that must have been why you had difficulties.

• mfletcher50
    7 years ago

Do you use the earth smart solution full strength! If not what dilution ratio did you use?

• sambah006
    7 years ago

Jesus.. This whole thread needs to be deleted. It's one huge advertisement for some "chemical free" stripper that a whole bunch of people with one post are commenting/asking about.

• Bill Clay
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just tried Formbys Deep Cleansing build-up remover on three patio pavers and it took the thompsons all purpose water seal right off. Soaked the top. Let them sit for 30 min. Then rinsed with the hose. Then to be certain, I played a unused spare paver of the same,color next to it and it was a perfect match! I have no idea if you can buy it in large bulk quantity but I will be looking. Can't say how it works on a wood deck but it was made for wood furniture...

• Carolyn
    5 years ago

I'm using vinegar right now and it's working! :D Need lots of rags and/or papertowels though

• marianalmost40
    5 years ago

sambah006 It would be beneficial if you could post your constructive ideas on how to remove Thompson's Water seal from a deck..I look forward to the method that was successful for you. Thanks

• HU-534772949
    5 years ago

I just tried earthsmart/ecochem full strength, let it set for 20 min, used a wire brush and power washed it off. It did NOTHING! These posts must be from those companies, do NOT

believe.

• ndufcat
    3 years ago

I doubt the company is on here tryinv to get people to buy their product. On their website they state the excerpt below about ESHC hydrocarbon (formerly known as EC 1800):

Please Note:

ESHC was developed to remove fresh and aged petroleum hydrocarbons from both hard and porous surfaces. Earth Smart Solutions has not tested the effectiveness of ESHC to remove Thompson's Water Seal from wood decks and does not guarantee it's effectiveness when used for this application.