Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove Thompson's WaterSeal on a deck?

Posted by Syl22 (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 9:35

Hi,
I installed the Thompson water seal product on my cedar deck last year, and since then I have many problems; the surface is sticky and it collect the dirt; the colors between the gallons where unequal and the so is the deck. Then I decided this year to change the product, and what I discovered is that this stuff is nearly impossible to remove, I tried all the deck cleaner and striper on the market, and none of them were able to dissolve the Thompson’s sealer, even the strongest Thompson striper can’t remove its own product. I have to remove this stuff because nothing can stick over it, somebody have a trick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove Thompson's WaterSeal on a deck?

Sandpaper.

I've posted some threads on this!

Faron

o

Sand it as mentioned above, then you will need to chemically treat it if your going to refinish.

o

I tried to sand it but with no result, the Thompson's water seal product is sticky like warm paraffin and it instantly clog the sandpaper. So here is the only recipe that worked for me...

1. Remove the product with a real wood striper, i used "Super remover" this product can dissolve about anything, wear gloves and glasses. Apply and scape.
2. Use a green abrasive pad with "Super remover" and scrub the surface.
3. Sand the surface. It will still clog the sandpaper but it will work.
4. Use a green abrasive pad with “Thompson’s water seal heavy duty deck cleaner” and scrub. It will clean the surface and let it with an even color.
5. Rinse with water.
6. Refinish. I used Sikkens SRD with a good result.

The result will be good but be ready to work hard about one hour for each ten square feet of surface.

The best advice is keep away of that stuff.

o

Sanding alone does just fine.

Make sure you rent a Vibrating-flat-plate sander, and use 60-grit paper. 80-grit after that is totally optional, but may help wood benches, etc.

Faron

o

I have found a total solution for removing Thompson's Water seal from any wood surface. It is a degreaser, safe for nearly every surface, and it completely removed Thompson's water seal from my 800 sq ft deck. It is called EC 1800 and is sold by EcoChem. Here is a link to their website. http://www.ecochem.com/t_1800.html
EC1800 is completely natural and biodegradable and works like a charm.

o

I failed to mention that using EC 1800 is very easy. Simply brush it on, let it stand for 20 minutes and lightly scrub, then rinse with heavy spray from a water hose or light pressure wash. It does not harm any plants or animals and leaves the bare wood ready for a new product. You do not have to apply any chemicals to reset the ph balance in the wood before applying a new sealer. EC 1800 contains no chemicals, therefore, does not alter the ph of the wood.

o

The EC-1800 work great for removing Thompson's water seal. How ever the name of the product is different. I spoke with this great lady on the phone and the new name is ESHC- Hydrocarbon Cleaner by a company called Earth Smart Solutions. They used to be EcoChem but bought out the company when the old owners retired. But I must say that this is a great product i even had some product left over and tried it around my house for cleaning!

Here is a link that might be useful: ESHC- Hydrocarbon Cleaner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here