Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Please help me choose decking material! Nicest for New England?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I'm really at a loss what material to use!

Project: We're adding a 8' x 18' deck to the back of the house and building a new porch on the side, will be using the same materials.

House is 1956 ranch house with painted concrete "brick" and shingled in Maipe Cedar Shakes dipped in Cabot Oil Stain. We have a cedar picket fence. The neighborhood is pretty high-end and all our other renovations are using pretty high-end materials (marble in kitchens/baths, etc.) so we want to make the right decking choice :)

The side porch is in a sunny, dry location. The deck will be shaded much of the time.

Construction is DIY (experienced DIY-ers). We've built porches on previous homes using Trex, and liked it, although local retailed advised against Trex for shady ares.

possibilities?

Trex or other wood-fiber composite?

Cedar?

Ipe?

PVC decking?

Concerns:

1) Cost!!!!!!! We have a really skimpy budget for this.

2) Aesthetics: maybe cedar would look best since we have cedar fence and oil-dipped shakes? Would we seal it with the same Cabot Oil Stain, or let weather naturally??

3) Resale value. What's going to be most desireable in a fairly upscale New England market?

4) Upkeep. I'm OK with once-a-year sealing, I guess. Our chickens will probably walk on the deck and poop on it, necessitating lots of washing/scrubbing in summertime :)

5) Environmental impact. I'm not really keen on the PVC stuff for that reason. And NO pressure-treated (except structural).

I really appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Stacey

Comments (7)