Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need porch/portico design ideas

Posted by cricket6670 (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 9:19

My wife and I are soon to close on a new home, which we chose because A.) it had everything we were looking for in terms of size and layout and B.) it has something of a unique look compared to the cookie-cutter McMansions in the newer subdevelopments.
That said, it is definitely what many people call a Gargage Mahal, with the garage front and center, lacking quite a bit in curb appeal.

Strangely, we were drawn by the unique, contemporary look. It ALMOST reminds me of a colonial style with the hip roof and square windows, but I'm a bit thrown by the tall, recessed entry and the one window (at top left) that juts out further than the rest.

Any improvements to the faade will probably be limited in terms of scope (i.e. changes to the existing roof-line would likely be cost prohibitive), so I'm seeking design ideas for a porch or portico... something that will up the curb appeal and make the home more welcoming.

Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have any opinions. Photo link attached below.

Thanks!
~Cricket

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need porch/portico design ideas

Looking at the photo of the front of your home, I can see why a nice porch would add a new front to the home and increase it's curb appeal.
No doubt an AIA would be helpful, but just for ideas I'd suggest bringing a porch out flush with the garage front wall and stretched accross to the left end of the house.

Now in order to do this, you would loose the PW above the entry doors. I don't see any other way. Besides, I don't like that PW. It's out of proportion with the home's front. It's too big.

Imagine the break line between the first and second floor continuing right across the front of the house, from left to right. Right over the removed PW.

Now you have a place to build a shed roof just below the twin D/H windows on the second floor and a full porch below.
If you can visualize this...

The Porch Guy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here