Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drladym

Cost for a grand porch?

DrLadyM
9 years ago

So this would be quite a grand undertaking but this house needs some serious curb appeal. What would you estimate the approximate cost of turning this before picture into the after picture? It doesn't have to be exactly like the after picture but the general idea of expanding the porch on both sides and adding railing to get this grander plantation feel? (would keep existing windows where they are but would change out the front door just something more grand.)

Thanks!!

Comments (9)

• jackfre
    9 years ago

I think it is a good idea to do this but...cost? Where are you, what is it built with. You have two completely new wing structures that actually make the package sing, but would be the major cost components. As long as I'm guessing, between $35-50K.

A lot of this depends on the guy(s)/gal(s) doing it. If it is a big outfit it's the high side. If you find a good guy who works small jobs...and does it really well you may save some dough.

• DrLadyM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is in Florida. We also thought of this smaller, much cheaper option that still looks good but not quite as grand. This would basically involve removing that faux roof peak and replacing one at top, adding railing and new front door.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

One of the main reasons the "after" house looks more appealing is that it has a steeper roof and therefore more substantial roof presence which balances the house mass.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Here's what I'd do.

1) Increase the post diameter slightly to make more substantial posts.

2) Paint porch eave white (natural wood presently it looks like) and add arched fascia trim between posts to make porch more visually substantial

3) Add white cornice trim to upper story to balance lower porch fascia - make the width of the cornice board wide enough to bring it down to the top edge of the windows

4) Increase the width of the upper window shutters (not the middle window) to be correctly proportional to the windows, they are too narrow now.

5) Add matching shutters to main floor windows flanking front door

6) Change the house color slightly darker and away from pinkish toward one of the reddish brown tones in the stones from the main level.

7) Add some fypon gable trim in the triangle

8) Possibly paint the front door an accent color.

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Wed, May 21, 14 at 8:55

• DrLadyM
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions! Thanks! Yea we hate the color - previous owners. We were thinking of possibly a light slate color otherwise..

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

A greyish color would look great too. Just make sure you pull it from the stones below, whatever color, and make it a bit stronger than the current color in terms of intensity (slightly less pastel). Your stones have a brownish undertone, so you'd probably want to use a golden grey rather than a blueish grey. The advantage of the reddish brown over a slate grey is the grey could blend with the roof whereas the reddish brown gives a pleasing contrast against the grey roof shingles.

These would cost WAAAAAAAAAY less than the wraparound porch and give you nearly the same visual impact.

Plus, I think these changes are more proportional to the house elevation. The house has a pleasing set of proportions already if you work with them correctly. The wrap porch would start to warp the house proportions, shrinking the house behind a huge porch mass.

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Wed, May 21, 14 at 9:05

• graywings123
    9 years ago

I would not add shutters to the bottom windows. The ones on the upper level are too narrow for two of the three windows.

I could see removing the porch roof peak, but I don't think you will achieve a better look by adding one to the main roof.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Also, it would be WELL worth the investment to pay a color consultant to get the perfect house color. Most amateurs get colors with the wrong undertone blends and tend to pick exterior colors that are too bright and clear. You need the right blend of undertones and color but in a sedate color. The right color will make your house gorgeous. Your house has the proportions to be gorgeous!

• concretenprimroses
    9 years ago

That "faux" roof peak is only fake on your after-inspiration house. It is a real working cricket on your house that keeps rain from pouring on you off the porch as you enter the house. It is in the wrong place and kind of silly on the "nicer"house.
    You have a nice house. Good color and a larger porch would make it wonderful.
    Good luck.
    Kathy