Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Max span for a pressure treated 2x12 on a pergola

Posted by bakes5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 07 at 8:42

Howdy,

I am building a simple pergola on my back patio. I have four 6x6 posts in the ground (33" deep) that are set with concrete. It is 12' x 18.5' rectangle. I will have fourteen 2x8 slats on the top (spaced about every 18"). for the 18.5' span I have two 2x12's bolted to the 6x6's (Kind of a 2x12 6x6 2x12 sandwich) by four 1/2 inch galvanized carriage bolts.

Ideally, I really only want 4 posts supporting this thing. Can I do this project with the 18.5' span on the 2x12's or do I need to put a post in the middle and make it a more managable 9' span.

Thanks

Bakes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Max span for a pressure treated 2x12 on a pergola

I went 14' between posts with this "sandwich". In 7 years I didn't have any sag to it. It was holding up an oversized roof too.

I'd build it without the middle post. If you ever noticed sag in the future you could alway jack it back straight and add the middle post at that time.

This is not a professional opinion by any means. :)

o
RE: Max span for a pressure treated 2x12 on a pergola

You should be fine with using 2x12's spanning that distance. I was doing some research on designing a deck and I came across a handy guide at:http://www.richmond.ky.us/Departments/Codes/Forms/Brochures/
Deck Construction Guide.pdf
It lists maximum spans and spacing for various sized lumber.
It says a 2x12 can span up to 18'10" if used as a joist and I think your purpose is as good as if using one joist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here