Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Building walkway with flat(tish) rocks

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I haven't been able to find how to build a walkway out of large somewhat flat rocks we have left from excavating our foundation. I've been building stone walls under porch with the smaller ones, DH wants a walkway to the front porch with large ones he just started setting on the lawn (if you can call it that - lots of crabgrass and clover). His idea was to outline each rock (some of which have really lumpy undersides, not all the same thickness) and then dig out topsoil/fill to level each one. Also thought he could mow over them.

My thought was to get (metal? Plastic?) edging, cut the sod to lay the edging, probably dig out between, maybe landscape fabric (3ft x 25 ft?)? Then peastone like we have at end of our driveway, set the stepping stones in the peastone, digging out under or filling in under to get the stepping stones level? I thought this would be easier than digging out dirt to contours of each stepping stone, also keep the grass/weeds out so no mowing (we have mulched beds on the porch side of walkway, could dig a trench and plant more low plants/mulch on the lawn side too?).

Would setting the heavy (about 30-50 lb each) stepping stones in peastone rather than fill keep them in place better, or worse?

This picture is from last year when we started - I've finished stone wall, shrubs have grown, and I've got mulch in. I'm going to continue the small 6" high stone "wall" in front of the cypress so the garage end of porch here will have stone between the walkway (set on top of edging?) to separate it from the walkway (about where the yellow rope is). I'll try to take new pics today.

{{gwi:52073}}

Thanks

Comments (3)