Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would you use Garapa again?

Posted by Tim_789 (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 8:12

I've read hundreds of posts on this forum in the last few weeks on decks - some great info on deck materials and finishes. However, I now need to decide. I was all set to go with Garapa decking, until I read Weedy's 2012 posts and saw the pics. If I spend this kind of money, I really don't want to go through that (extensive sanding of the whole deck) 2 years later.

My deck will get quite a bit of Ohio sunshine.

So, for anyone who put Garapa on at least two years ago: would you make the same choice again? If yes, what finish did you use, and how often?

thanks, Tim in Cincinnati

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would you use Garapa again?

For the record, it was 3 years later. :-)

I don't consider it a fault of the garapa, but a fault of how I maintained the finish. I'd do garapa again, because I love how it looks (when maintained).

And we will be re-coating in another month or so when it's warmed and dried up around here. Lesson learned!

And, I might add, you'll need to maintain anything made of wood, so I'm not sure that choosing another species would make a difference.

I would be interested, though, in how the finish has held up for others who were building their decks in the same era as I was. Are you guys out there still?

This post was edited by weedyacres on Fri, May 3, 13 at 13:53

o

We started our tigerwood deck a year ago and we have many hours in trying to get it cleaned and finished. It turned grey in the time it took to build (DIY). We are using Woodrich but ready to pull our hair out. It is sooooo depressing to see our investment looking like this. There is grey we just cannot get out. So if I answer right this minute, I'd say to run far far away for hardwoods. I hope I can give a different answer before too long. But we are losing steam and fighting like cats and dogs over it.

o

All woods gray, composites will also bleach out from the sun. Pretty much impossible to stop it to some extent only slow it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here