Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring for an Unheated Enclosed Porch in Maine

Posted by claga (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 7:44

Hi,
We purchased a 6 month seasonal home May 1st to October 31st; 1 miles from the ocean in Maine. The 10' x 12' enclosed porch has a 5/4 pressure treated deck floor with approximately 1/8" to 1/4" spacing between the boards over a concrete floor crawl space.
We want to cover the floor to keep out the bugs and make it a place for additional sleeping/family room.
We like the laminate wood look, but are not sure if it can take the temperature ranges, summer to winter.
Really don't like the indoor/outdoor carpet look.
Looking for recommendations. And suggestions on how to put the floor down. Does it need a vapor barrier, etc.?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring for an Unheated Enclosed Porch in Maine

I have a similar situation but am building on a an outdoor deck frame in Kingston, Ontario.
Laminate is out because of humidity and freezing.
Vinyl tile shrinks (permanently) when if freezes.
Could do slate, but am worried about the weight.
I like cedar but I don't want space between the boards which is required for expansion.

So I am ending up with a remaining option of "plastic" wood. This product looks interesting, but I haven't priced it yet: http://www.trex.com/plan/products/porch/trex-transcend-porch/index.htm

o
RE: Flooring for an Unheated Enclosed Porch in Maine

Hardy board attached with 2.5" screws to the joists thru the decking, ceramic tile.As long as the tile is not exposed to the elements (freezing and thawing of water)you should be ok.
Go to a tile supply house(not a box store) and let them know you situation, they will set you up with the right materials.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here