Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

Pressure Washer - Clorox?

downsouth
17 years ago

We just bought a new Coleman pressure washer. It says in the manual not to use Clorox as it could damage the unit.

What is a good solution to buy to wash vinyl siding and porches? What could I use to strip the paint off the porches, as I want to stain them?

If this is posted in the wrong forum, please let me know where I should post it. Thanks!

Dee

Comments (6)

• pressurepros
    17 years ago

Hi Dee,

Bleach will corrode the internal workings of your unit's pump but bleach is a critical element for housewashing and mold abatement. Get youself one of those bottles that attach to a garden hose (like the ones for window cleaning). Look for a product called Jomax. Mix the two together and apply to your house. You'll get halfway decent results.

Paint on a porch.. you own it. The chemicals required to remove paint are either extremely expensive or will burn the skin right off of you, kill every bit of grass and plant within 20 feet of the porch, or instantly blind you.

There are effective paint removers that are not caustic and cost $40 per gallon. I am doing a porch now and customer cost for stripper is $840. Look for Back to Nature products. Your pressure washer will not help you remove paint. After you are done you will still need to do an extensive amount of sanding.

With all of the above, throttle down your presuure with different nozzles. (I don't man use white instead of yellow etc.. there are nozzles you can get that will allow effective water flow and lower your pressure. You get them at pressure washer supply houses.

• nra4usa
    17 years ago

downsouth,

about removing paint, any liquid stripper that contains the ingredient methylene chloride is excellent for removing paint. I have used this stuff for years. However, be careful. Methylene chloride instantly dissolves not only paint but ALL PLASTICS including vinyl siding. Therefore only use it to remove paint from wood, brick, concrete, stone or metal. Use only outdoors in a well ventilated area.

• larry324567
    17 years ago

Chlorine Bleach or Sodium Hypochlorite (active ingredient in Chlorine Bleach) based deck cleaners that the uneducated recommend may appear to quickly remove mildew (white in color) and mold (black and other colors) fungus. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) DO NOT RECOMMEND Chlorine Bleach for Mold (Mildew is a species of Mold) remediation on porous surfaces such as Trex and other composite decking.

The reason for this is that Chlorine Bleach does not remove or kill the roots (mycelium) of the fungus, but actually waters them. A few weeks after you have cleaned a deck with chlorine bleach or sodium hypochlorite based products you will notice the mildew or other mold fungus growing back in greater numbers, especially after additional moisture comes into contact with the deck. It will make the problem worse.

In addition, Chlorine Bleach products reek havoc on the rest of the deck structure shortening the life of the entire structure. It is highly corrosive to any metal including structural connectors or fasteners (screws) holding the deck together. It shortens the life of the pressure treated lumber supporting the deck. This could lead to liability issues for the owner of the property and any company who recommends its use.

PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE ARE ENVIRONMENTALLY DESTRUCTIVE.

• allenharrison_texasfinest_com
    13 years ago

Whenever I see something that says EPA or some agency professes dire happenings if you do X or Y, I wonder why the person does not include links to the source. Often, when I've followed up, I find that there is exaggeration, misunderstanding, snake oil or a wives tale at the root.

So Larry, can you support the claims?

Thanks,

• mark321_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Whenever I see something that says EPA or some agency professes dire happenings if you do X or Y, I wonder why the person does not include links to the source. Often, when I've followed up, I find that there is exaggeration, misunderstanding, snake oil or a wives tale at the root.

So Larry, can you support the claims?

Thanks,

• mike3212_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Thanks,