Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

Help with builder disagreement!

broston2
9 years ago

I have been focusing all attention on the floorplan, and now i'm stuck on the exterior. I need unbiased opinions from educated people (since I know nothing about a roof). I like the rustic craftsman style, yet my house is a ranch. I had an architect draw the exterior (1st black/white photo) and I love it. I took it to my builder (who does not share the same style as myself) and he has negative opinions. The porch is a 3/12 slope which he says will not wear well (shingle/metal wise) and will not be structurally as good due to water issues because of the lesser slope. He drew the last photo which is a whole different house and much more traditional. It has a 7/12 roof. Opinions anyone? I don't know whether to scrap the 3/12 roof (I don't want water issues) or fight for it.

Comments (7)

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

builders exterior

• jackfre
    9 years ago

Your original drawing which you love will work. Yes, extra care must be taken in the center section to prevent water damage. I would put a bituthane base under the whole center from peak to peak. The contractor has noted his reluctance. You should have built the house YOU want. It is his job to do it so it doesn't leak. If he can't guarantee it he can walk and you should let him.

• daveyseven
    9 years ago

Different windows and shutters too!

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your opinions. 2nd responder, are you just stating that windows/shutters they are different from plan to plan? Are you saying this will make a difference besides looks?

• mike13
    9 years ago

I like the 1st one much better. More trouble for the builder with the extra dormer, windows in the gables, & the metal roof but looks much better. Is this a standard/cookie cutter plan the builder does & is reluctant to do "custom"?

3/12 roofs can not use standard asphalt shingles thus your architect showing the metal roof. Maybe the builder doesn't know how to do metal roofs as he might just use anybody to throw up asphalt shingles. Thus it might cut into his profit margin.

Unless you are buying into a cookie-cutter plan neighborhood where you get to choose from a few standard plans, I don't understand your builder's reluctance. If you in that situation, I can understand your builder's reluctance as now that is becoming more "custom" & it sounds as though you have already made changes to the floorplan making it even more "custom".

Custom homebuilders love changes to the plans as they can charge more & increase their profit. Standard/cookie-cutter plan builders hate changes as that usually cuts into their profit as their subs are usually trained only one way & if they screw it up it has to be ripped out & done again.

• Jane Hyatt
    8 years ago

If you go to another builder with your plans, is this an option?? There are too many headaches later on not to have bonded with your contractor in the beginning.

• millworkman
    8 years ago

Two years ago I am sure it has been long resolved.