Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathleen_ni_houlihan

Big picture thoughts on deck care, restoration, replacement?

Hello,

I am looking at a house with a deck. I know nothing about decks, but reading some of the posts in this forum make decking seem anything but straightforward.

What should a prospective homebuyer know about decks? The deck in question is showing its age. Are there steps I could take to to extend its life? What routine maintenance does a deck require over time?

And how much does it cost to replace a deck? I'm sure that's somewhat like asking how much it costs to remodel a kitchen, but are there general guidelines per square foot for wood decking? In short, I wonder if this deck, which is large for a small house, and tall (the house is built into a hill, so the deck is built high off the ground) is a huge liability....

Comments (6)

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Cathleen, I just lost my post to you, oh man. Lets try again. Please post a pic of the deck, actually a few would be best. I want to see the condition, it's relationship to trees, shade, direct sunlight, it's construction and a pic might give an indication of the type of material. It is most likely a pressure treated material or western red cedar. A photo can answer many maybe, might and perhaps answers. As well the answer to cost may be more accurately answered. Deck maintenance isn't rocket science. In my opinion and that of many is to leave decks alone other than a good scrub annually or a power wash every few years, no sealant, no solid stain or penetrating stain. I have seen decks that look like hardwood floors, too much work for this guy. Good wood decking isn't exactly cheap and like anything else in a home we need to protect our investment. I just tonight calculated placing a snap on poly product over my deck boards, $10,000.00. I recently replaced just the upper deck boards on a small 8X12 section
    and the lumber and 3.5 inch screws was around $300.00 for material only. A deck restoration is generally far less then a total rebuild.

Photo please or anything I suggest here on may be moot.

• cathleen_ni_houlihan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Canuck,

Thanks so much for posting again after losing your reply! I was just out to see the property yesterday, but I forgot my camera...I did learn the deck is red cedar. There are a couple of pictures from the real estate listing, but nothing close up, I'm afraid. I'd appreciate any further thoughts you have, but I understand if these pictures are not helpful.

• cathleen_ni_houlihan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The stairs up to the deck...

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Cathleen,

Yes it appears to be western red cedar. And it looks to be in good condition from the pictures. It also looks to have a solid or penetrating stain applied. If there wasn't a stain of any sort it would weather to a greyish taupe colour. If it has a clear sealant that would appear as a shellac maintenance can be difficult. But no need to get into that now as I can't tell from the pics.

Not having a close up is difficult to see detail but it looks to be in good condition. A close up will help.

Now what would concern me is the railing. If the deck is higher than 24.5 inches from grade that railing should be constructed so that any opening is no greater than 3.5 inches apart. The home inspector should tell you that.

Looking at the second pic there appears to be some type of wire fall protection when I look closely. You might be good to go but the deck looks good. You should look at restaining every few years. I love maintenance free and with the stain it won't be. I pressure wash my cedar every 5 years or so. Of course location is a major factor.

By the way what a view! Now I understand why such a ledge deck. Buy the view, the home's free.

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 22:51

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

I don't want to frighten you but go through this thread and you will get an idea of what some people think it takes to maintain a deck, it doesn't have to be that complicated. Some people expect the deck to look like hardwood floors, I shake my head sometimes as to what people are willing to do to keep the decks looking new. Protecting ones investment is one thing tarping a deck every winter is going overboard. It's an exterior deck for a home not a deck on the Queen Mary.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/porch/msg0819190923191.html?135

• cathleen_ni_houlihan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your thoughts are extremely helpful, and that is a great thread, if slightly frightening! This property is high maintenance in a number of ways, and it really helps to have some information about what it would take to maintain the exterior as we decide whether to take it on.

I really appreciate your help.