Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma_taylor1224

TWP question for John.

John, how do you go about applying the "wet on wet" method for TWP?

Comments (10)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Use the sprit of a sound mind, the first one has to set up before the next one.

The twp outfit an I have gone around and around with this, I have found two coats on a new decking project right away wont last any longer than one. With my work I put on one and wait for a month or so then put on two more after a good cleaning.

They also will not budge from their idea that if you dont put the second one on with in a posted time it wont work. This is total bogas the recoat can go on anytime you want.

J.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks John. One more question.. have you ever used the TWP 500? If so, does it last any longer than the 100 series? OK, I lied, 3 questions .. can I only purchase it online?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

The 500 series has lower voc takes longer to set up. Same basic service life as the 100 series.

There is a galexy plant 20 miles from my house I can buy anything they make dont really know how other Folks get it.
    J.

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

I am going to buy it online from these folks, www.world of stains.com I have never bought from them before but they answer emails promptly

• maferni1366
    13 years ago

Hello John. I've been reading everyone's posts regarding Ipe and have found them extremely helpful...thanks John for all your input. We're over here in Southern California (land of the liberals) so we can't get the twp 100 shipped here (but we do have relatives in Nevada.hee hee).
    Couple of questions: 1) What do you use to seal the end cuts? 2) Hubby and I getting ready to purchase our Ipe locally and were told to let it sit for a couple of weeks before installing...truth or myth?
    Thanks, Maricela

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

If you can get twp 100 series. Get It.

I never do anything with the butt joints far as sealing them. I do install endgrain trim around the out side of our Projects.I never use the thined down wax its a total waste of time and money.

Maricea, if I have to say this one more time ,,,,,,,

Do Not Wait for anything but good weather to put finish on an out side project.

One thing Gemini( sorry bout the mistake up above its not galexy at all its Gemini!! get it right Jon Mon!!/TWP makes a water base finish,Storm Shield, This stuff works very well might even out proform the 100 series. Down side>> it sets up really fast

• maferni1366
    13 years ago

Thanks John. And yes, if you had a dime everytime you told everyone on your posts that all you need is good weather to put a finish on...you would be semi-wealthy. Next time you're in So Cal; I'll give you the dime :) or maybe just a beer.

My question about installing referred to the actual Ipe. Supplier suggested we take it home, store it outside; cover the lumber with tarp and let it sit for a couple of weeks to"acclimate" before we build the deck; something to do with the moisture conent of the wood and shrinkage. What's your take?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

We never do it.

The only way to actually acclimate the lumber to your area would be to stack it up on stickers outside,the same way it was air dried in South America,in other words its already been done, and run several big fans thru it. Using a tarp would be silly.

Then lay the lumber out flat in the Sun. That would be silly too. Ask your supplier how many times he personley has done it and what if any good results came from it.

J.

• maferni1366
    13 years ago

Thanks, John; your answers are much appreciated.
    Maricela

• maferni1366
    13 years ago

Thanks, John; your answers are much appreciated.
    Maricela