Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gazebos

Posted by andrepap (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 23:10

We want to have a gazebo built for our yard. We are not handy ourselves. Any tips to avoid getting scammed? Tips about materials, etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gazebos

Get a permit, obtain contractor references and view examples of work done for others before signing a contract. Possibly purchase the materials from a reputable lumber yard and hire the construction. A reputable contractor will welcome your investment in materials in advance and will provide you a complete list of needs to build your project.

Cedar is a good choice for exterior projects. A quality stain to further protect the wood is recommended. There are some south american species well regarded too but I have not personally used any of them.

Why a gazebo? Insect protection, rain shelter? If shade is your primary need, a pergola might be more accessible.

Good luck.

o
RE: gazebos

Where you are located will possibly govern the materials you will/can use.

Prebuying the materials is tough if you don't have a design.

I personally don't recommend kits, unless budget is a big problem.

I suggest that you find the style that you like, get pics, if possible. There are ton's of options for gazebo's.

Determine whether you want to paint it, or stain it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gazebo examples

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here