Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vizslalover_gw

No more splinters, please!

vizslalover
13 years ago

Hello- Not new to GardenWeb (Kitchen forum veteran) but new to this forum and looking for some advice on our deck. Our current 14'x22' deck is redwood (?-not 100% sure since it was existing when we bought the house 4yrs ago but it behaves like redwood) in pretty poor condition and I'd like to deal with it. I have 2 young children and my absolute #1 priority is No Splinters! A close second is that, of course, we're on a budget. What do you all suggest as our best option for our deck?

Options we've thought of:

-Replace with composite decking $$ or plastic decking (ie- Azek or TimberTech XLM) $$$

-Sand the deck down and completely refinish it with ??? that will keep the splinters down at least a little (though we do have dogs who will continue to scratch the deck with their nails so I'm not sure if this is feasible). My husband was also wondering if taking up the deck and flipping the boards over might be a good idea.

-Paint the deck with several coats of paint to get us through the next year or so and then do the composite or plastic deck then when we have more room in the budget.

Other ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company