Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
griffdecker

Porch Decking

griffdecker
14 years ago

I'll be building a new 2 story house soon and will have wrap around porches on both stories. The top porch will have a roof that extends from the house roofline, the lower porch will be covered by the top porch. Around 3,900 sq. ft. of decking.

My questions are: Despite the expense, I'd prefer South

American lumber for its durability. Because the porches will be covered, can I use tongue and groove decking? I prefer it to the hidden fasteners, and can't imagine drilling and plugging 3,900 sq. ft. of decking. I'd go mad.

I like the look of tigerwood and it's the most reasonable of the SA products (or so it seems). Any downsides to using it? And can I use 1x6 with joists 16" O.C., or should I go with 5/4x6?

Thanks

Comments (3)

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

I have several T&G ipe decks out exposed to the weather doing fine after 10 years or so. If this is your first Carpenter project I dont recomend you try it.

1x6'' South American lumber is plenty strong over 16'' oc joists as long as the frame supporting them is up to standard. J.

• griffdecker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This won't be my first deck -- I'm a contractor who usually does interior renovations, but have done my share of decks as well. I just wanted additional feedback before I install that much decking on my own house. Thanks for the input.

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

One thing I can tell Ya, do not install T&G decking outside the way you would put down an inside floor. J.