Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe vs. Thermory

Posted by lmgch (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:33

First post of what I anticipate may be many as we embark upon a number of projects.

We are less than 24 hours away from going before our town's Historic Commission to request approval to remove and reconstruct our large, wraparound front porch. Our home is a colonial dated to 1901 and the HC commission here in town is very tough on material choices.

We had settled on using Ipe for the flooring.

However, we JUST got an email from the contractor saying he thinks we should instead consider this stuff called Thermory.

I'm really irritated that this is coming totally out of the blue - we've been finalizing plans with him for over a month already.

But my husband thinks we should perhaps consider it. If, and only if, the HC allows us to gain approval with an "either-or" materials list.

Anyway, would greatly appreciate ay feedback/thoughts on this Theromy product. I can't seem to find much.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe vs. Thermory

I have been in the construction supply industry for 30 years and have never hear of Thermory. I would probably stick with Ipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here