Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Plexiglass for Patio Cover?

Posted by romandub (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 22:22

Has anyone used plexiglass as a cover for a patio structure or pergola? Our contractor suggested using tinted plexiglass as a roof for a pergola-like patio structure. We are worried that it might look cheap, get scratched and/or damaged, might be hot, etc. I'd appreciate any feedback from BBers who have experience with this idea. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Plexiglass for Patio Cover?

I've seen polycarb.Interesting. Did they have a suggestion of where to source it?

o

I have used LexAnn with good sucess. The box stores sell a knock off called suntuff for some unknown reason I have trouble with that stuff leaking with out a lot of silacone over each screw. J

o

Do you have a a good source for lexan you could recommend?

o

I have a local supplier for the Lexan corrugated pannels, a person could google up for your area. J

o

Sorry this message is a few weeks out. We ordered 1/4" polycarbonate, also known as Lexan (don't use plexi, it's not really strong enough and it will cloud easily) on top of our pergola beams over our hot tub (clear). The builder didn't get it all done before winter, but we've had some of it up for 4 months and it still looks fine. I used Pierce Ohio companies for our order and had no problems.

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/polycarbonatesheet.html

We ordered the contractors 10-pack of 4'x 8' sheets (we're covering a 13' x 17' space. It was a bit salty (around $1,400), but they packaged it very well, and it arrived via semi truck fairly quickly. Overall, I'm happy with it (if only I could keep the birds from flying over it).

Birgit

o

Please post pics birgit!

o

Hi ya Birgit!! I used some 4' x 16' honeycomb lexann pannels for a job in Houston put together with H chanell ghessss what a pain to install those grometed screws have to be screwed down exactly right with no dimple down/ still flush with the panels. This was a job for the Tax Laywer,bless her heart she condecends to do my work. It came out real good but its a lot of work even for this ol guy.
Lexan is really strong they make windshields for the Nascar Cup cars out of it. Install this material one time/ never worry again. Cant say the same with the knock off stuff invest in the real thing.

That job is on my site under redwood deck with lexann roof it has a sunburst detail. www.deckmastersllc.com its being rebuilt so forgive a few voids in the picture area. John

o

Just posted some pics in a new thread ... called Ipe Pergola Update w/Poly ... Pictures.

Thanks,
Birgit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here