Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reinforcing a patio beam to remove a post

Posted by Bazerko (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 22:00

What I want: To get rid of the center post holding up my patio roof.

Why: We just added a beautiful water feature, and the center post ruins the view.

What I have: A 16 ft 4x8 horizontal beam mounted on three vertical 4x6 posts, one on each end and one in the center. The patio roof itself consists of asphalt shingles on plywood on 4x6 rafters on 16 inch centers. The beam is 13 feet from the house. The top of the beam (and the bottom of the rafters) is 90 inches above the concrete slab patio. The bottom of the rafters on the house end is 101 inches.
This is all located in suburban Phoenix, so snow is not an issue.

Some ideas for your comments if you would be so kind:

1- Just knock the center post out. Probably not a good idea.

2- Reinforce the 4x8 beam by bolting a 16 foot long 2x8 onto it. Reinforce the 4x6 posts by bolting a 2x6 onto each one for its entire height. Maybe even dig under the corners of the slab and pour a concrete footing. Then knock out the center post.

3- Add a 4x6 at a 45 degree angle starting 3 feet from each end of the beam to 3 feet below the top of each post. Maybe reinforce the posts and slab like in #2. Then knock out the center post.

4- Suspend the center from a (very) large helium balloon...never mind.

Any advice, ideas, or references to appropriate resources will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reinforcing a patio beam to remove a post

The best solution is actually pretty simple:
Add 2 new posts about 4 feet in from the outside. This is sort of like your scenario in option #2. Don't put additional 2x material onto the 4x beam. There is no point to this. You will need to create footings under the new support posts. The span between the new posts can be 8' Then knock out the old center post. That will still maintain structural integrity and give you a better view.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here