Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanilz5

Dryer vent under deck - how to vent

susanilz5
9 years ago

We have a 22 year old 16' x 24' cedar deck which is approx 2 feet off the ground. Our dryer vent comes out under the house and vents under the deck. The vent runs 14' through the house to get to the outside. The deck boards have a slight space between them and the skirt of the deck is open lattice so air can pass through.

We are in the process of rebuilding the deck with cedar. Our contractor wants to put a cedar skirt around the base of the deck. He says he would have to run the dryer vent out from the house to the end of the deck if he puts a skirt on. He also intends to butt the cedar deck boards close together because he says they shrink.

I'm concerned about possible problems with extending the pipe out side in our cold midwest winters and hot and humid summers. The contractor thinks the skirt of the deck will look nicer then the lattice and dosen't seem too concerned with running a dryer vent pipe outside. I'm not sure how many feet but if he runs it straight out it would add at least 16' which seems like a a very long run for a dryer vent.

Am I worrying over nothing or should I be concerned about his plan?

Thank you!

Susan

Comments (3)