Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkmereness

Deck Repiar Advice

jkmereness
13 years ago

Hello everyone! Just looking for some advice about my "new" deck. I'm rebuilding my deck that I have right now. It is structurally sound and everything, but the previous owners of my house painted the deck the same color as the house. So it doesn't look the best and now the paint is chipping and bubbling. So anywho, I'm taking off the deck boards and railings and sindles and stairs and replacing them all.

Can you guys help me decide what kind of wood to get and also what kind of stain to use?

I was thinking about using treated cedar for everything and have heard good things about TWP stain.

I have a 12'4" x 20'3" deck that is south facing and gets lots of sun. I live in Minnesota so there are hot summers and cold winters. My wife and I (and our dog) use our deck almost everyday in the summer so there will be lots of foot traffic. I don't have a problem with having to sand/strip/powerwash and re-apply stain, but I would like to be able to do it every couple of years instead of every year. Please let me know if you need any more information to make some recommendations!

Thanks!

Comments (2)