Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patio Gazebo Question

Posted by cactuscatie (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 20:48

We just layed patio pavers and would like to get a gazebo. My husband does not want to drill into the pavers in order the bolt down the gazebo. Are there any ideas as to how to secure a gazebo from the elements or does anyone have another idea besides a gazebo. Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patio Gazebo Question

cactuscatie,
I would think the weight of a completely built gazebo is sufficient enough to keep it from blowing away and probably doesn't have to be bolted down. Besides, attaching it to pavers really isn't substantial enough anyway. Sitting it right on top of pavers, bolted or not, can not compare to proper footings.
I am sure you can get more detailed information from your gazebo source.

Good Luck,
The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

Fastening to the pavers would not be a good idea, you need concrete footings with some post bases that imbed into the concrete. Free standing structures like gazebos tend to have movement unless properly fastened down. Simpson makes some like this, but I always use custom made bases fabricated by a welder.

Porchguy,

You make some awesome porches, hat's off to you. However I can not understand how you could say a gazebo would be ok not bolted down.

o

Remove pavers from area where gazebo posts would go.
Dig holes for footings.
Pour concrete, secure posts to footings.
Reinstall pavers, cutting to fit around post.

High winds will knock over a top-heavy structure that has no solid foundation - that'll mess up your pavers and you'll have to reinstall a bunch of them at that point anyway...plus rebuild your gazebo.

Mac

o

John<< agrees with Al, the porch is completly loco, I really dont think the person is a contractor at all, to many bogos posts<<

I total agree with the M a c.

J.

o

Mac's suggestion is good. My patio installer offered to do that. But I wasn't sure, since my gazebo may need to be replaced. They don't seem to last for yrs. Maybe if I found one that did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here