Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck pictures with no railings??

Posted by sarahandbray (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 20:10

Trying to find some deck-with-no-railing inspirational photos. I've pulled a few from Houzz and Google images. Any other ideas??
Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck pictures with no railings??

How far off the ground is the deck?

o

That's a code issue. Railings are required. Unless it's more of a wood patio on grade than a deck.

o

Kind of along the lines of these. Really like the one with the long steps.
Does Code vary by town/State? How many inches off the ground if I ran stairs all the way across?

o

Or this

o

SaraandBray, you will most likely need a permit to build something like that. Visit your city building department to see what that entails. They probably have code information there, but a licensed contractor would be the best answer for you.

Resale on a house with an unpermitted attached deck would take your property value down faster than you can blink.

o

o

This isn't no railing but it's functional railing that doesn't block your view. Wouldn't meet code in a lot of areas but there is no code here. It pretty much keeps people from falling off as long as I can keep them from standing on it. Seriously, no one has fallen off in nine years.

o

"That's a code issue. Railings are required. Unless it's more of a wood patio on grade than a deck."

Code here (Massachusetts) is 30inches.

780 CMR 5312 GUARDS
5312.1 Guards Required. Porches, balconies or raised floor surfaces located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below shall have guards not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in height.

o

Bumping this thread.
I need pictures and fast. We lowered our deck last weekend and are tryiing to decide if we should go lower. Previously the deck was one shallow step down (maybe 6 in.) from the back porch, now it will have an extra step. If we lower it, it will have yet another step down. Will that look too separated from the back porch that it's connected to? Our house was elevated higher than I had hoped when built, and I want the deck with no railing, so it's got to be several inches lower, to make it doable. We took the railing down last weekend and went to work. Any more pics, please?

o

Lake Girl - how about posting a picture of your deck? Then we might be able to comment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here