Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autom8r

Diesel fuel and motor oil deck treatment???

autom8r
15 years ago

The good ole boys down home in Tennessee swear by a mix of 50% diesel fuel and 50% used (or new) motor oil or transmission fluid, depending on the desired tint, sprayed liberally on the deck. I tried it on one of our douglas fir decks last year and other than pissing my wife off till she got over it and having the deck smell like a truck stop for a week or so, it seemed to work great. I didn't walk on the deck for a few days till the brew soaked in. They tell me it needs to re-applied every few years when the color fades.

Has anyone else ever heard of or tried this method??

Comments (13)

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Yup I have!! the forest service in Eugune Oregon wiped used transmission fluid on most all the benches they placed out in the woods in their park areas.

Same kinda deal with using motor oil as wax on your car,it takes a little wipping but it works.

You got to figure the bugs will hate it,might get a little uv protection from used stuff>the micro metal particlesNot really a market item for most Folks, but you got to figure in the John Mon rides a Harley. Would I do it on my deck out back of the lake house???? Hell Yess!!! Just for the sake of getting away from all this S&i$$tt I deal with on a pro nature every day.

Keep the rubber down and the paint up... J.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Neighbor up at our build has cedar siding on their house. He sprayed it with that same mix and hasn't touched it since the early seventies when they built and appearantly it's still repelling good as new, 4500' sierra nevadas!

He said something about shell oil or chevron having a pre-mixed product you can buy for treating wood(s). I didn't check into it because you can use up what you have, mix up your own!

• casey_wa
    15 years ago

I have a bunch of old motor oil that I was going to recycle and this is sounding like an interesting idea. I am curious about comparing it with the contents of commercial deck treatments. Sounds like the motor oil/diesel combo is less toxic.

Casey
    "Sean McDonagh Racing"

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Nice rides Sean Go Get Em man, open wheel is nice,NASCAR is better! Just Kidding!!!!!

Cant compare the two Sean total different thing in a Com market for a lot of green mafia reasons and the Wallet would never go for the sent/setup time. Far as the content goes that would be intersting. J.

• sprugh_hughes_net
    13 years ago

I tried it on my barn and got lightheaded and nauseated with the diesel fumes, also, the sprayer kept clogging up. What kind of a sprayer did you use? I just had a gardent type pump sprayer. HElp! susan

• maryswenson
    8 years ago

We are from Tenn and we had a cedar house and my husband always used diesel and oil once a year. He did a self test to check for flammability. It was less flammable than the kind of wood protectant you find at local stores. The cedar would smell for a couple of days but it was beautiful and golden. We sold the house and later visited the hometown a few years later and they had not kept it up and it had turned the famous black moldy color that cedar will do when not protected.

• twinkyandme
    6 years ago

2 winters and summers after applying 50/50 old crankcase oil/kerosene, the wood on this east facing deck still sheds water but it still smells like OCO which is isn't pleasant at all. but the wood is happier and not splitting as bad, or more. the deck is probably 16 yrs old, NM summers/winters. couldn't afford a Real sealer, but I wouldn't do it again, just so ya know. not by a house anyway. good for posts and car places. or in the shade! and free..but some one did mention it could be a fire hazard? anyway, I hope to get some Real Sealer and cover it, oil based one...

• Chris Wyllie
    3 years ago

The Tennessee recipe is 2 parts diesel to one part motor oil (new or used based on color preferrence). If u substitute every ingredient for something else in a 2 part mix, i can see why you mightve had less than ideal results. 80/90 weight gear stinks to high heaven brand new, lol, and kerosene even has a different oil smell and is less refined.

• Christopher Scaife
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It works great and has a very nice color. It lasts a few years, is easy to apply and the price is right. I like it on fences, decks and trailer floors. It absorbs into dry wood in just a couple hours. Rub your hand on it and it comes off clean. Wood loves oil and it is water proof. It is stinky for a week - smells like the diesel.

• DGO DRUMMER
    2 years ago

i operate a sawmill milling ponderosa in South West CO.. I've used a rough guess of about 65/35 oil/deisel mix on all my fences, posts, sheds, carports; anything I build NOT attached to my home. works great. I was told by a painter friend yesterday that the problem is there is no UV protection using this mix. He aslo said he went to a home that stunk to high heaven after many years of using used oil on it's wood. I have had no experience with it smelling bad. Sure, a few days to evaporate diesel and it's got almost no smell at all. I will continue to use this mix. The reason for adding diesel is only to thin out, allowing it to more easily/quickly be absorbed into the wood. in my experience rough cut lumber/siding absorbs MUCH better than planed (smooth) lumber. Though planed lumber WILL absorb the mix, it tends to do so very slowly. I find for nice fences once a year is required. Siding, maybe aevery feew years. I got a 55gal drum of used oil form a local shipping container company... I found out after I had my teenager stain the nerw shed I built, that is likley had miuch more than motor oil mixed into it. It was almost black. Guessing there was tranny and hyrauldic fluid in there too. I'm gonna find out from the guy who runs that operation. I'd rather not be putting hydraulic fluid on wood. That's dangerous shit I'm told!

• michael garneau
    2 years ago

Good on old pressure treated decks?

Garn53@gmail.com

• HU-170424107
    last month

I use new oil. it stops water penetration. UV light won’t kill my wood in my lifetime. you could apply sun block in the summer. 😉

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County