Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diesel fuel and motor oil deck treatment???

Posted by autom8r (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 20:05

The good ole boys down home in Tennessee swear by a mix of 50% diesel fuel and 50% used (or new) motor oil or transmission fluid, depending on the desired tint, sprayed liberally on the deck. I tried it on one of our douglas fir decks last year and other than pissing my wife off till she got over it and having the deck smell like a truck stop for a week or so, it seemed to work great. I didn't walk on the deck for a few days till the brew soaked in. They tell me it needs to re-applied every few years when the color fades.

Has anyone else ever heard of or tried this method??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diesel fuel and motor oil deck treatment???

Yup I have!! the forest service in Eugune Oregon wiped used transmission fluid on most all the benches they placed out in the woods in their park areas.

Same kinda deal with using motor oil as wax on your car,it takes a little wipping but it works.

You got to figure the bugs will hate it,might get a little uv protection from used stuff>the micro metal particles< water will bead off it like mad. Might even cut down the mold no tellling but the organic growth wont like it.

Not really a market item for most Folks, but you got to figure in the John Mon rides a Harley. Would I do it on my deck out back of the lake house???? Hell Yess!!! Just for the sake of getting away from all this S&i$$tt I deal with on a pro nature every day.

Keep the rubber down and the paint up... J.

o

haha, that's great. I live in Tennessee and when I saw the title, I thought, wow, my step dad would love this post! He treats all his fences and barns this way!

And it's a good way to use up all that old motor oil.

o

Neighbor up at our build has cedar siding on their house. He sprayed it with that same mix and hasn't touched it since the early seventies when they built and appearantly it's still repelling good as new, 4500' sierra nevadas!

He said something about shell oil or chevron having a pre-mixed product you can buy for treating wood(s). I didn't check into it because you can use up what you have, mix up your own!

o

I have a bunch of old motor oil that I was going to recycle and this is sounding like an interesting idea. I am curious about comparing it with the contents of commercial deck treatments. Sounds like the motor oil/diesel combo is less toxic.

Casey
"Sean McDonagh Racing"

o

Nice rides Sean Go Get Em man, open wheel is nice,NASCAR is better! Just Kidding!!!!!

Cant compare the two Sean total different thing in a Com market for a lot of green mafia reasons and the Wallet would never go for the sent/setup time. Far as the content goes that would be intersting. J.

o

I tried it on my barn and got lightheaded and nauseated with the diesel fumes, also, the sprayer kept clogging up. What kind of a sprayer did you use? I just had a gardent type pump sprayer. HElp! susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here