Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddleboarder_gw

Another IPE deck. Dense Wood. Dense Minded

paddleboarder
13 years ago

We'll I've read through just about every IPE posting on this site going back to the past 8 years. I have just finished installing a 600 ft Ipe deck and I'm still at a crossroad of what to do next. To finish or not to finish that is the question. Certainly don't mind the seasoned grey look but who can stop staring at the rich, gorgeous, and brown body of this beautiful Brazilian native? I am so intrigued by the TWP product but I too can't get the good stuff here in California. Moreover I'm not entirely keen on the build coat surface protection methods. I wouldn't doubt that it works, and it's probably for the better in harshly exposed environments. But here's my dilemma. My decking is installed under a wrap around porch. It's entirely covered but gets a couple hours of late afternoon western sun. It doesn't get wet. So now I'm wondering if I'd be better off with frequent applications of a simple hardwood oil. I certainly don't mind rubbing this Brazilian beauty down every now and then. And I figure a product with a low amount of solids would be best to avoid the need to strip off a surface sealer down the road should I choose to let this one age to silver along with myself.

Comment (1)