Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a deck cleaner that will not make wood fuzzies?

Posted by canajo (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 17:40

I used American Deck Products deck cleaner last year, at half strength, on new treated pine decking as well as 15 year old pine decking. I did not use a power washer after applying the wash. Both the new wood and the old decking got the fuzzies, or whiskers, on it requiring me to sand it before applying the stain.

The deck was stained last summer and I want to wash it now.Can anyone recommend a deck wash that can be applied and rinsed off with a hose that won't cause the wood to break down and cause the fuzzies? I tried using oxyclean (not a strong solution) after the bad experience with the American Deck Products wash and it caused wood whiskers also. Also, what do you recommend as far as brushing the deck after the wash has been applied? I noticed that the fuzzies would pop up even before I brushed and I did brighten the deck afterwards but it did not take out a lot of the wood whiskers.

Thanks!

Nancye

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a deck cleaner that will not make wood fuzzies?

Sanding the ONLY way to correct a "furry" surface.

It SHOULD be obvious. How would a cleaner make a WOOD surface smooth?!?!?!?!

Faron

o
RE: Is there a deck cleaner that will not make wood fuzzies?

I am the OP and I guess I was not clear in my posting. The deck is smooth and sanded and has stain on it-there are no fuzzies on it right now. I want to prevent what happened before-I cleaned the deck for prepping and it created loose wood fibers. Right now, it is smooth and perfect-I just don't want to mess it up by applying a wash to clean it and have to start all over again with the deck. I know that the wash I used before will do it to both the new and old wood that has been treated...I am looking for one that will not fuzz up the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here