Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old painted? deck - what to do now?

Posted by sheisaeval (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 16:29

We've been to many home depots and lowes and each time we go we get a new answer, so I figure I'll ask here.

We bought a house last year and we think (and also asked home depot/lowes people as well) that it was badly painted but it was starting to scrape off at certain parts so we want to do something about it.

Anyway, should we-
Apply a solid color stain?
Apply a deck paint?

And before we do it, should we-
Scrub it with a stiff bristled brush
Use some kind of deck cleaner
Power wash?

Do we need to use a primer?

Recommendations for products would be great as well.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old painted? deck - what to do now?

I'm no expert but that looks to be a solid color stain. The wood is showing it's age and I wouldn't attempt to paint it since all those cracks are just going to inhale the paint. Plus, it'll be difficult to coat all the crevices with paint and it just won't look nice once you're finished...IMO.

I suggest you go to a lumber yard or a storefront that specializes in decking material, show them the photo above and explain what you're needing. If they don't carry deck stains, then for good advice on what to use in prepping and staining the deck go to your local paint store.....Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc.

BTW, when I said 'go to a lumber yard', I am not referring to the big box stores.........I mean a true lumber yard.

I think you may find the link below helpful. They discuss the problem you're having.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck stain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here